Lumber River Trip July 2,2005

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2005
      Water level was about 8.5 feet at the gage near Maxton when we put
      in the Lumber at Harper's Ferry Church at about 11:00 AM. Most of us
      were well down stream, when I stopped for a break. Later I caught up
      with Katie and asked if Frank was behind us. She said he was back
      there helping two paddlers in a tandem boat who were having trouble.
      At that point I paddled upstream to offer what assistance I could. I
      caught up with them back at the put in. After a lot of trouble the
      paddlers in the tandem boat had turned over and were rescued by
      Frank.The rescueees elected to quit the trip. On the trip back
      downriver Frank told me the story of the turn over and rescue. We
      caught up with the rest of the group at "Tree Island" where they had
      stopped for lunch. When we got there Mary Martha was taking a swim.
      After lunch we paddled on down the river. I tried to follow Omer
      through a tight shortcut, had to get out to pull between two trees
      and scuttled my boat. That was the first time I ever capsized my
      boat without being in it. Farther downstream another paddler turnd
      over his kayak going through a strainer. We took out at about 2:00
      PM at Three Bridges Rd.We had traveled about five or six river
      miles. Although there were lots of places where we had to manuever
      around obstacles and bump over a couple,there were no portages or
      pullovers required today. Paddlers on this trip were Jim DePree,
      Bill Clark, Marshall Goodman, Bo Mock, Frank and Katie Dupin,Omer
      Register, Tim Greenhaw & friend, Mary Martha Vaught, Phil and Nancy
      Edge, Greg and Barbara Massey and Marshall Thompson,the trip
      leader. Some of the paddlers, including Jim, Mary Martha,Omer,and
      Tim, elected to do another shuttle and go on down to Lowe Rd,
      another eight miles.