Neuse River Paddle Report

  • larruone
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2005
      Howdy all!
      Today my wife and I paddled the Neuse river, from Poole Rd to Mial
      Plantation Rd. This is section 5 in Ferguson's book.
      The Neuse River at Clayton gauge was at 1.19 ft, which meant that a
      lot of the river was less than 1 foot deep. No problems spotting the
      shallows though.

      The Mial Plantation bridge has a steep slope, but has some steps and
      a ladder to facilitate access. Still, you have to pull your craft up
      the slope.
      The river was lovely! Some unknown white cluster flowers provided a
      subtle fragrance, the cloud/sun ratio was right and there was an
      interesting variation of wildlife.

      We saw 4 water snakes, one of which joined us for lunch.. From the
      water's edge anyway! There were few turtles, but no less than 5
      muskrats (?) were spotted. One didn't even bother to leave the log he
      was sunning on till I was past him!
      A group of circling buzzards pointed out the deceased muskrat, and
      one buzzard was darned if he was leaving. Like the creature above, he
      held his ground as we passed him. Hawks, barn swallows and that
      yellow bird with the unpronouncable name also made an appearance.

      All in all, I have been impressed with the Neuse. So far my wife and
      I have done from the dam to Mial Plantation (sections 1 -5), and all
      of them have been nice. The water is clean, not too much trash, and
      only the occasional traffic or construction sounds betray the fact
      that you are in an urban area. And the occasional house, of course.

      Much better than the log jammed South River, which was last summer's
      nightmare! ;)