South River Trip Feb 12, 2005

  • Don
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2005
      The South River, a beautiful black water river bordering Sampson
      County and several other counties, was the trip today. The put in was
      at Melvin's Bridge on Boykin Bridge Rd on the Sampson County side,
      Bladen County was on the other side of the river. The take out was at
      the NC Wildlife Boating Access on Hwy 701 in Bladen County,
      approximately 10.4 miles, however due to short cuts, I had a reading
      on my GPS of 9.7 miles. It was a bright sunny day, not a cloud in the
      sky and temperature was around 60. The water was at a good level and
      clear as white sand was evident in several places below the water.
      This section has numerous places to camp. We had several trees
      blocking the river but none we had to climb over or portage. Some
      blockages we went through, or off to the edge getting out of the boat
      just to push off, and one blockage we were able to go around through
      the trees due to the high water. Most of the wildlife today was seen
      by the lead paddler, Bill Clark, who reported seeing five deer, a
      heron and wood ducks, the rest of us saw ducks, buzzards and other
      birds. The rest of the paddlers were Wayne and Lynda Charles, Jim and
      Mia McDermott, and their dogs, Schmidt and Mazie, Charles West, Paul
      Ferguson, the Florians; Grant, Tom and Mary and their dog Conan, and
      Don and Sandy Meece. It was good to see Paul back again after
      recovering from his accident. It was also good to see more canoes
      than Kayaks. Nothing against you kayakers, you get to sit all day in
      a prone position, don't have to worry about carrying heavy loads, like
      big coolers, camp chairs, camp tables and other luxuries. It was also
      good for this writer to be back on the water, almost four weeks, more
      than a decent man should endure. Thanks to Grant and Charles for the
      shuttle. After the paddle we all went down the road to the Tienda Y
      Taqueria for some quesadillas and tacos.