Report of Scouting Trip on Bear Creek

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2005
      Frank Dupin and I (Jim McDermott) scouted Bear Creek between Brown's
      Mill Road and Reynold's Mill Road (northwest and northeast of
      Robbins, respectively) today (1/13/05). With no hi-tech gear, we
      estimated the run at about 8 miles. We launched at 11 AM and landed
      at 3:20 PM with a 20 min. break for lunch. The water level was not
      ideal and we had a lot of bumping and poling over rocks and sand
      bars, but the scenery was impressive -- high bluffs with rocky
      outcroppings, huge sycamores, and no habitation except for the few
      houses we saw at the halfway point in Robbins. There are two dams:
      the one above Robbins is an operational impoundment for water supply
      and required a hike of over 100 yds through a thicket to portage; the
      one below Robbins is a ruin but still required a portage around the
      rubble strewn edge on the right. The impoundments behind each dam
      are extensive and made for boring paddling on still water (the
      scenery was still good). The access at both ends were at bridges and
      required maneuvering up/down steep embankments. Wildlife encountered
      were of the avian variety except for a few turtles sunning themselves.
      This is not a trip for the faint of heart and is best conducted after
      a heavy rain upstream.