Float Report , Lumber River Nov. 13,2004

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2004
      Today eight paddlers and three dogs braved the cold morning air to
      paddle the Lumber from Princess Anne Landing to Fair Bluff. Bob
      Guckel and Rudy Floyd showed up but decided it was too cold to
      float. Rudy, however helped by doing a shuttle for us. Since there
      were too many drivers for Rudy's car Grant Florian took some of the
      drivers back to the put in. Thanks to you both.At about 11:15 we
      put in the river under dark clouds and chilly winds. Good current
      and a tail wind helped us make very good time. We stopped at Big
      Sandy Ridge Landing where we ate lunch under a shelter where there
      was a picnic table and chairs. It was still cold and cloudy at lunch
      time. But shortly after we put back in the river the sun came out.
      Then it got warmer. We took another break at "turtle landing". By
      then it was nice and sunny.
      The group arrived at Fair Bluff at about 3:45 PM . Paddlers on this
      trip were Jim DePree, Tom, Mary, and Grant Florian with "Conan": Jim
      and Mia McDermott, with "Mazie" and "Schmidt"; Omer Register, and
      Marshall Thompson , the trip leader who feeling his old age, was
      last to the takeout. Thanks to both Jims for their help today.