Deep River Dam slated for removal

  • timshort1960
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15 12:49 PM
      Just heard about this today:

      The Carbonton Dam on the Deep River is slated for removal in the near
      future. This is apparently due to an effort by the Town of Siley
      City to gain access to more water from the Deep River.

      The affect this will have on paddling remains to be seen. However,
      if you're like me and enjoy the Deep for fishing as well as paddling,
      you will understand the dramatic affect the removal of the dam will
      have on the section of river above the dam. The Wildlife ramp, which
      is used by paddlers as well as small boats, will likely close due to
      the drop in water depth.

      If this concerns you as it does me, I urge you to call Joel Brower,
      Manager, Town of Siler City and express your concerns. The dam is
      owned by Mike Allen of Burlington. Jarod Mashburn of Carbonton is
      caretaker of the dam and is interested in hearing from anyone that is
      concerned about its removal.

      See this article in The Sanford Herald:
      http://www.sanfordherald.com/articles/2004/07/21/news/news01.txt