Trip Report - Waccamaw - Reeves Ferry to Pyreway - 7-31-04

  • jimdepree
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      This section is one of those that earns the river the sobriquet "Walk-
      a-mile" but none of our party of five were required to exit our
      kayaks at any time during the trip owing to low water or treefall.
      There were a few easy scootovers. The level was at 2.1 feet at
      Freeland when we launched at Reeves Ferry about 12:30. The put-in
      was very eroded with limited, treacherous parking but with a good
      beach for launching and a crumbling boat ramp at higher levels. We
      started late so as to attend part of the Pyreway Paddlefest which was
      held at the takeout at 904. There were rec boat and sit-on-top demos
      there from Great Outdoor and we watched the kayak race start (only 4
      participants) before we left. We also met club members Marshall
      Thompson and Bill Clark there who did not come on the paddle with
      us. The first part of this trip is fairly straight, having the look
      of a canal with some limited development. Most of the trip was very
      winding, 30-70 feet with some fully canopied sections. Sandbars were
      frequent allowing for two stops with some eating, swimming, and
      creative launching. Weather was extremely variable, ranging from hot
      and sunny, to pleasant and welcomed drizzle, to a downpour during the
      wide last mile finish (but fortunately with a good tailwind).
      Wildlife seen included blue heron, anahinga, banded water snake,
      green night heron, turtles, white ibis, and many jumping fish. Just
      prior to the widening, I headed up Seven Creek which was deep enough
      to paddle for about a half mile. Paddlers included Frank Dupin,
      Carlton Royal, Tom and Mary Florian with dog Conan, and myself. We
      took out about 4. Thanks to Carlton for the ride back to the put-
      in. Thanks also to the paddlefest for the free teeshirt.