Report of "Alternate" Weekend Campout

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2004
      Well, in the end, it was only Mia and I and Jim Depree who made the
      run to the Shackleford Banks, and finally, even the indomitable
      Depree couldn't see staying for another day, so we sadly watched him
      sail off towards Beaufort on Sunday. Since this will be my last LRCC
      trip report, I will spare the details and cut to the chase: arrived
      noon on 3d after hour paddle across North Channel; found lots of
      people on the shoreline beside new privvies and list of new rules;
      set up camp as far away from others as possible but not far enough
      from group of youthful idiots who invaded our space for drunken party
      and fireworks show while exhuberantly shouting the "F" word
      repeatedly throughout the night; decided to paddle to Fort Macon (3.5
      miles) overlooking roaring tide through Bogue Inlet which caught
      Jim's kayak and flipped him into the surfline; passing boater rescued
      Jim while Mia and I barely made shore; after sleepless and
      uncomfortable night, made our second bad decision to hike across
      island to see if we could find any ponies (we are paying for this one
      with liberal coatings of analgesic creams to quell the bug bites);
      after watching Jim depart, we threw in the towel and headed for home
      as approaching T-storms made staying for fireworks less desirable.
      That's all. Hope y'all had a happy 4th. (Sad to report that Bull's
      Place on the White Oak River has gone out of business.)