Great Coharie Trip Report May 29

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      Another day on the river pulling over trees, jumping trees, and
      portaging around trees. Too many to remember. The trip this past
      Saturday was on the Great Coharie Creek from Wrights Bridge down to
      Lisbon Bridge at Cleon Lanier's house. A distance of about 8 miles.
      The river level was low and a reading down river at the Tomahawk
      Gauging Station on the Black River read 3.8 ft with a cfs of about
      300. It would have to be four to five feet higher and still maybe one
      or two carry overs. It was a warm day, warm enough for two paddlers
      to take an unexpected dip in the cool black water after about five
      minutes in the trip. The group stopped for lunch at a nice sand bar
      up river from the usual stop near the Coharie Condo, a shack with the
      distinctive name. Later in the paddle the group became separated with
      the usual fast people out front and the rest of us about 20 minutes
      behind. It became warmer and this paddler decided to take a swim.
      Well, I did not decide it but rather it was decided for me, not just
      once but twice consecutively at the same location. The group stopped
      at Virginia Broadwell's river house for some rest and refreshment and
      some even hiked her nature trail. This is a good stop on this section
      as Virginia comes out to welcome you with her dog Sam and is always
      the gracious hostess. We ended the day's trip at Cleon's river house
      for an annual pig pickin' (BBQ pig for some of you aliens) and party
      into the night with some people camping and staying for breakfast in
      the morning. Many thanks to Cleon Lanier and Pat Raynor for putting
      this on. Wildlife seen on the trip included turtles, prothonotary
      warblers, a lot of hummingbirds at Virginia's house, a snake, and
      heron. Those paddling were Frank Dupin, Tom & Mary Florian and dog
      Conan, Ron Dutton, John & Carlton Royal, Craig Smith, Bill Clark, Jim
      Depree, Bob Marsh, Carol Warner, George Walker, John Gary, and yours
      truly, Don Meece. And yes I did flip my new canoe twice