Great Coharie Creek Paddle trip 15 May

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2004
      Starting out with the usual Saturday morning, pre paddle breakfast
      consisting of a home made with lard biscuit with ham, and a sausage
      and egg sandwich with a little ketchup, we headed off for our paddle
      trip on the Great Coharie Creek in Sampson County. The Great Coharie
      is one of three tributaries that form the Black River. Our trip
      started out at Boykin Bridge Road and ended at Wrights Bridge, a
      distance of 9.2 miles. In Paul Ferguson's book Paddling Eastern North
      Carolina, he recommends a minimum height of 4.9 ft and 500 cfs on the
      gauging station that is 25 miles downstream on the Black at Clear Run
      or Tomahawk.
      http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02106500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060
      Today's gauge read 7.3 ft and 1000 cfs. We encountered numerous
      trees that required going under, over, and portaging around. One
      paddler said he got out of his boat 11 times. All of these downed
      trees are a result of the last hurricane, and ice storms, as they were
      all cleared after Hurricane Floyd and Fran. This section is a
      beautiful section with many big hardwood trees and overhanging
      branches. Wildlife reported being seen on this trip included several
      big snakes in limbs, banks and on the water, heron, a turkey reported
      by one paddler, and other bird life. After the paddle, most of us
      drove the short distance to, you got it, La Tienda Y Taqueria for some
      authentic tacos and quesadilla's washed down with Jarritos drinks. A
      visit to this eatery is becoming a tradition when paddling the nearby
      rivers, South, Great Coharie, Little Coharie, or Six Runs Creek, or
      even if you are just passing the intersection of Hwy 701 and Hwy 210.
      Paddlers today in canoes and kayaks were Wayne Charles, Bill Clark,
      Jim Depree, Charles West, Mary Martha, Cleon Lanier, Jim & Mia
      McDermott and dogs, and Sandy and yours truly. This was not a LRCC
      scheduled club trip although all the participants were members