Dec. 22,1999 Drowning Creek Float

  • canoeman32
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 1999
      Today four LRCC members put in Drowning Creek at
      the bridge over U.S. Rt. 1 near Hoffman, NC. Frank
      and Charles had previously scouted the section. There
      was plenty of water,( the gauge at Rt. 1 read 4.94 ft
      that morning.) There were many overhanging trees esp
      holly. Since the creek is narrow and twisty , one had to
      be careful to stay out of the vines and limbs. Once
      the bow of my canoe got caught on a vine. I could not
      go foward and the current was pushing me into briars
      and holly branches. I am grateful to Charles and
      Diane <br>who came to my rescue. We had to go under
      many very low logs but had only one portage on the
      four hour trip.<br> We stopped for lunch at a place in
      Camp McKall<br>where there was a rope bridge, part of
      an obstacle <br>course. Frank , Diane, and Charles
      gave it a try. Frank went all the way across and
      back.<br>Once Charles heard what we believe was a deer running
      through the swamp. We saw lots of holly with red berries
      and also a lot of mistletoe. We will have to tell
      Forrest about that.<br>We took out at Rt. 501 at about
      3:55 PM<br>Participants were Frank Dupin,Diane Smith,
      Marshall Thompson, and Charles West.