Edisto River at Aiken SP

  • he_laoshu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2004
      I don't know if this is close enough to be of interest to the Club or
      not, but I thought I'd try. . .

      The state of South Carolina has a canoe trail on the South Fork of
      the Edisto River in Aiken State Park. Just downstream of this trail
      is a really nice section, quite wild and beautiful, that takes about
      4 hours to run at normal water levels and few lift-overs.

      That's the problem. Until the past few years, a local
      hunting/fishing club has maintained the section by removing the lift-
      overs. Now there have stopped and there are many, I am told - at
      least in the upper stretches of the run. This makes it unsuitable
      for beginners and older people like me - a 5 or 6 hour run is a
      little too long!

      Is the Club interested in getting togther a volunteer group
      occasionally to go down the section and do some maintenance?
      Although I am not a member, this is something I would gladly
      participate in. If this is done, is there a best time of year to do
      it? (Low water and NO CRITTERS?)

      thanks
      Nelson HIghley
      Charlotte