  • mike liz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 8:31 AM
      Today 4 club members and 5 guest went down the Uwharrie River. It was a lov=
      ely day to be paddling. The dogwoods and springflowers were beautiful along =
      the riverbanks. The waterlevel was just alittle high for the rapids to be re=
      al exciting but it made the trip an easy paddle with some rocks to dodge.   =
          We put-in at the low water bridge off hwy1301 at 11:45. Then about 2.8 m=
      iles down river we came to a group of rocks on river right that made a nice =
      lunch stop. While sitting at lunch stop enjoying the beautiful scenery, one =
      of the guest decided to go for a spring swim and bodysurfed the rapid at lun=
      chstop. The entertainment didn't stop there. While leaving lunch stop two of=
      the guest learned how to enter a canoe correctly. They went for a spring sp=
      lash. After numerous small rapids and a leasure paddle we took another short=
      break . At 8.3 miles we had to say farewell to the river. We had arrived at=
      what we call Sherwoods Landing. It was named after the club founder Sherwoo=
      d. He slipped in the mud and fell.(At this point is where forest service roa=
      d 555 comes within 50 yards of the river). It was now about 4:30. We saw lot=
      s of turtles sunning in the sun. The bird life was ducks, blue heorin, hawks=
      ,crow and one snake on a limb over hanging the water.         The paddlers =
      club members: Frank Dupin, Al Benshoff, Barb Hall, Elizabeth Britt , and lea=
      der Mike Britt. Their dog Blackie. The guest were ; R.E. Cansler ,   Emily B=
      iles,Ashley Tucker,and Ben Rabon.