Lumber River Trip Turnpike Rd. to Rt. 401 near Wagram

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2004
      On this sunny , breezy, and warm February day eight Lumber River
      Canoe Club members and four dogs put in Drowning Creek at 10:15
      AM.Water level at the gage at US 1 near Hoffman read 4.88 Ft. and
      falling. The current was moving fairkly fast making paddling
      easy.Soon we passed the confluence with Bufalo Creek and were on the
      Lumber River.
      There were a few obstacles on this section today which required good
      paddling skills but no portage or pull overs. We stopped for a break
      and to wait for some of the party who had fallen behind about 3 or 4
      miles down on river left. About 20 minutes later we stopped for
      lunch at Chalk Banks which will soon be developed as part of Lumber
      River State Park. There we met 3 kayakers who had also stopped for
      lunch there. One was mike Kimbrel who had paddled with us before.
      The guys joined us for the rest of the trip down to Rt. 401.
      Near the end of the trip we met a young couple in a jon boat. They
      expressed interest in joining the club. We hope they will.Most of us
      took out at Rt. 401 but Don Meece, Wayne Charles, and Myron Whitly
      continued on a planned camping trip all the way down the Lumber to
      the Little pee Dee.They hope to make the trip in one week. Other
      paddlers on this float were Jim and Mia McDermott, Mary Florian,
      Rudolph Floyd,