Float Report

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2004
      We had a good day for a twelve miler on the Lumber River on Saturday,
      Feb. 7. Mike and Liz Britt and Blackie, Tom and Mary Florian and
      Conan, Mary MArtha Vaught, Jim DePree, Marshall Thompson, and Jim and
      Mia McDermott and Mazie and Schmidt put in at Matthew's bluff at
      10:25 with water level high and fast and weather cool and cloudy. We
      lunched at Buck's Landing (mile 6) as the sky cleared and the winds
      picked up. We took another break at Piney Island where Blackie went
      off on a deer hunt on his own, and we pulled out at Boardman at
      3:30. This is arguably the prettiest section of the river with lots
      of twists and turns with multiple and sometimes narrow channels. The
      state park does a very good job of keeping the channel clear of
      downfall and with the water level, we encountered no need to leave
      our boats for navigation. Saw lots of deer and many birds. Signs of
      beavers everywhere; no signs of human development anywhere -- perfect.
    • jimmiamcd
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2005
        Took 2 boy scouts and one parent on an overnight outing to Pettigrew
        State Park on lake Phelps on Nov. 19/20. Paddled the Scuppernong River
        from Cross Landing Road to Columbia (c. 9 miles). The weather was
        perfect (50s and sunny), and the river was beautiful. There is
        absolutely no signs of civilization on this stretch (if you discount
        the occassional sounds of traffic on hwy 64 in the distance). Trip
        took about four hours with two stops. There are wooden platforms for
        rest breaks about every two/three miles, and those are the only places
        to get out (although we did land at a spoils mound at a canal entrance
        and had to muck our way in and out). We saw only one other boat
        (outboard) on the trip which is probably why we saw so much wildlife
        (otters, deer, hawks, woodpeckers, geese, ducks, fish, herons,
        kingfishers, et. al.). Back at camp that night one of our scouts
        stayed awake long enough to hear the red wolves howl. Coming back home
        across lake Mattamuskeet, we stopped to admire the tundra swans and
        snow geese and other assorted waterfowl that congregated near the
        road. All in all, highly enjoyable.