Black River Trip 5 Dec

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 1999
      Six members paddled the Black River from Newkirks
      Bridge to Ivanhoe, NC, Section 4 in Benners Book. This
      trip was 8.4 miles and the river gauge at the Clear
      Run station read 5.17 ft and streamflow was above
      average. This was an assessment trip to determine damage
      and trees down from the three hurricanes that hit the
      area this year; Dennis, Floyd, and Iris. Members
      paddling were Don Meece, Mike Boyle, Frank Dupin, Charles
      West, Marsha Tai, and Jim Depree. There were
      approximately 10 to 15 trees across the river but only one
      which we had to pull over, although the smaller kayaks
      went through the brush. There were no Kodak moments of
      anyone going in and we were expecting the worst as far
      as downfall. We had more saws, pruners, and axes on
      this trip than a logging crew. Very good trip, took
      3hrs and 40 min counting the 40 minute lunch stop on a
      nice sandbar. Evidence of a lot of beavers.