re: Trip Report, Deep R., 22 Nov 03

  • dlpardue
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      Enjoyed reading the report. Glad yall got to come up and do that
      part of the river. The Triangle Land Conservancy also has set aside
      a beautiful piece of land at the confluence of the Rocky River and
      the Deep, a couple of miles downstream from yall tookout. Not much
      of a place for canoe access since the hike from the parking area to
      the river side is so far, but it is a beautiful piece of walk land
      to come up and see. The site is called the White Pines Natural area
      and a link to the TLC with a lot more information is at http://tlc-
      nc.org/
      I've paddled past the site over on the Rocky River by putting in at
      15/501 bridge on river right where there's ample parking and going
      on down to the takeout at Old U.S. #1 Highway (200 yards down stream
      of the "New U.S. Highway #1, double lane bridges) just outside of
      Moncure, NC. Doing this trip will make it necessary to do a
      strenuous portage around the dam at Lockville (500 yards upstream
      of the "new U.S. # 1 bridges) but with care and nimble feet and a
      long rope, there's no real problem there either. Summertime there's
      an abundance of poison ivy along the portage route, but it's a trip
      worth taking.
      Again, enjoyed the report. Wish I hadn't had to work that day at
      Honeywell, otherwise I'd been there too. BTW, the TLC is also in
      the process of stabilizing the Endor Furnace with hopes that it and
      the White Pines area will become new state parks in the not too far
      off future.
      Donnie