FloatReport : Big Sweep on the Lumber Sept.20

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2003
      Ten good members turned out to clean up a section of the Lumber .
      Two brand new members, Bob and Cathy came all the way from Fuquay
      Varina. Wayne and Lynda Charles came from Lexington, Mike and liz
      Britt from Mt. Gilead, Tom and Mary Florian,from Lumberton, Jim De
      Pree from Fayetteville and trip leader Marshall Thompson from Maxton
      rounded out the group.
      We put in at High Hill at about 11:00 AM. By the time we got to the
      dam at the power plant we were loaded down with trash. We dropped off
      12 bags of bottles and cans, styrofoam items, buckets, a propane
      cylinder and other stuff for Ranger Neill Lee to pick up. Then we
      paddled on to Tarkle Bluff picking up more trash as we went along. At
      Tarkle we dropped off 16 more bags and many other items too large for
      the bags. Neill drove up while we were eating lunch. We all helped
      load the trash on the truck.
      Before the trip Neill had told me about a jet ski that had broken
      down on the river. The owner had left it in the swamp and walked out.
      Neill asked me to tell everyone to keep an eye out fot it,which I did.
      Somewhere below Tarkle Bluff Mary spotted the lost jet ski. We
      marked the location and told Neill when we got to Horse Bluff
      Landing where we unloaded more trash. I was bushed by then so I took
      Neill up on an offer to take us back to vehicles at Matthew Bluff.
      The others opted to paddle on out. Mary Florian called me later to
      let me know that everyone got out okay.She said that there were
      several new trees down below Horse Bluff Landing. Thanks to Bob
      Hughes for doing the shuttle. Thanks to Charles Hickman for allowing
      us to land at Horse Bluff and drop off trash.