Scouting Report on Deep River

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2003
      Today, 9/6, Dave Allchin, Mia and I paddled twelve miles of the Deep
      River from Gulf to Hwy 15/501 in Chatham County. The river was high
      and fast which took away all of the rapids and riffles mentioned in
      Ferguson's guide but which made the trip very easy and short (four
      hours including breaks. Put-ins and take-outs were easy despite the
      water level, and several places of historic interest were easlily
      explored, such as the Camelback bridge at Deep River Park in Cumnock
      (mile 6.3) where we stopped for lunch and the ruins of the
      Confederate Endor Iron Furnace (mile 9.5) which are ghostly. Plenty
      of waterfowl (herons, kingfishers, and ducks), woodpeckers, and hawks
      entertained us as well as a doe which came down to the bank to watch
      us float by. The scenery is beautiful with some rocky bluffs up to
      100' high. Stands of sycamore and hickory and some slippery elms
      lined the banks the entire way, and the only signs of habitation were
      at the bridges. This is a trip that should be done in the fall when
      the leaves have turned.