Haw River Float Report 7/26/03

  • Don Meece
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      Frank Dupin led the club trip on the Haw River on 26 July 03 from
      Chicken Bridge down to Hwy 15/501. The trip was 6.7 miles and the
      river level was approximately 4 ft at 600 cfs. The put in at the
      bridge is steep and Frank rigged up a rope across some trees with a
      trailer rope to hang on as you go down the steep bank with your boat.
      It was a nice day with some good class I and II rapids. Wildlife
      seen was some blue herons. We had nice lunch break on some rocks (See
      pictures). The take out is still on river right but with new bridge
      construction you need to get permission from the foreman like Frank
      did in order to pick up you boats. You have to park at the
      intersection up the highway at the takeout. Several paddlers, Paul
      Ferguson, Pete Peterson, Mike & Liz Britt portaged the dam and went on
      down to Bynum Road Bridge. Other paddlers not already mentioned who
      were on the trip included Todd Landis, Don Meece, Mary & Grant
      Florian, Marianne Hartman, Channing Stone, Jim Depree, Dianne & Karl
      Smith, Katie Downs, and CD Murphy.