Re: [luf-team] Iain, Just thought you'd like to know.

  • Iain Hallam
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      Dave wrote:

      > Jack and I have gotten 100% email integeration with phpbb.

      Nice work!

      > You can email post to forums, reply to messages, and get messages from
      > a forum, all via email.
      >
      > Just FYI.
      >
      > If you'd like a demonstration, let me know.

      Absolutely - it's only this that's been stopping me from reccommending
      moving away from Yahoo. Can you subscribe via e-mail or is that still a
      web-only thing? Anyway, let me know how I can test this out - and
      whether you would be willing to move the forums to forums.luf.org or
      similar.

      - Iain.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        Iain, No.. You can not subscribe via email. (Yet.. I could prolly
        swing that in.. It'd be simple enough)

        You have to be a valid use on the Forum (phpbb in this case) which
        requires a trip to the Website, a quick signup, etc etc (Tho, we could
        prolly migrate the users from here... Given username and email
        address, and have the system email them a new password for the phpbb
        forums, which they could login and change)

        After the initial signup, however, you never have to really visit the
        web side of the forum again.

        Just like YG, each forum has a seperate email (which needs to be setup
        on the domain when creating new forums)

        i.e. If this forum were at my domain, i'd be emailing this message to
        luf-team@...-online.net (not working on THAT particular domain, so
        don't try.)

        Replies would go out to everyone subscribed to that forum.

        One cavaet, if your a web user, and don't want the emails.. Its
        similar to YG here.. You have to login to the web system, and tell it
        to NOT send you emails. (Or TO send you them, if you want emailes from
        a different forum, etc etc)

        It's a pretty extensible system.

        --- In luf-team@yahoogroups.com, Iain Hallam <lists@n...> wrote:
        > Absolutely - it's only this that's been stopping me from reccommending
        > moving away from Yahoo. Can you subscribe via e-mail or is that still a
        > web-only thing? Anyway, let me know how I can test this out - and
        > whether you would be willing to move the forums to forums.luf.org or
        > similar.
        >
        > - Iain.
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          Go to http://luf.nea-online.net/forums and sign up for an acount.
          Of course, using a valid email address.

          Once you are signed up, on the main page
          (http://luf.nea-online.net/forums), you will see a link, near the top
          labeled: Forum subscriptions

          Click that.

          The only forum i have setup for email support right now is the Lounge
          Forum.

          Click the subscribe button near the bottom of the page.
          Thats it.

          (Mind you, this can all be 'pre setup'.

          Now, from the email address that you signed up with you can post
          messages by sending an email to lounge@...-online.net

          It may take up to 10 minutes for the message to show up.
          If you want to see the reverse, you can reply to the message you sent
          via the web forum, and it should show up almost immediatly in your
          email mailbox.

          Lemme know if you have any troubles.

          You can either leave me a private message on the forum, or email me
          (drich at nea dash online dot net_
        • gottdenk
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2005
            COOL!