Re: SEE -- 2/29/4

  • Lord Jon Ray
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hi Richard..

      Good to find you alive and well in good spirits. Sometimes while
      reading these I almost feel as though I'm reading a documentary on
      alternative living. You as the main character in the story living a
      mundane yet interesting life of alternative living out in the middle
      of no-where, TX.

      Cheers!
      -LJR
      --- In luf-team@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Crews" <rlcrews@y...>
      wrote:
      > Spring Rain
      >
      > SEE report for Sunday, February 29, 2004
      >
      > It is raining and it is going to rain (to paraphrase Wallace
      Stevens)--the weather report predicts showers more or less
      continuously for the next several days--but the temperature is about
      50 and, with only a faint breeze, it really is very spring-like out.
      I worked on the fence a while this morning and sat in the cob house
      (or at least under its roof) for a few minutes when it started to
      rain heavily (since I was working up that way). But after a while I
      decided to bring my hammer and staples and work gloves back here and
      watch the rain from inside.

      > Laura is still away visiting her sister, but she may be back in a
      few days--or maybe not. She has a way of making dramatic life-plan
      changes from time to time that don't include me, which is probably a
      good thing for her since I am 24 years older than her. But I do wind
      up feeling up in the air a bit. Right now, of course, I have her son
      hostage--Michael, age 19, has also been living here a couple of
      months. He is a very fine young man. He works on the fence and
      around the 'stead with me; he is neat, respectful, and quiet. As a
      typical 19-year-old he is devoted to the telephone--he spends a
      couple of hours a day keeping the young women of Bastrop in line.
      And he watches TV (he has one in his room), writes long letters to
      friends, and walks in the woods with the air rifle scaring rats and
      rabbits and crows. Then come a weekend he is generally gone (on
      duty) from late Friday to late Sunday. He stopped by for a few
      minutes yesterday afternoon for a shower and change of clothes. He
      also tolerates my endless lectures on algebra, astronomy, history,
      or whatever--when we are working, eating, or just sitting around--
      with patience and claimed interest.

      > Yesterday I got around to cleaning out the goats' shed, a job
      which was overdue. I shoveled, raked, and scraped the old poo- and
      pee-laden straw out, painted down another layer of "garage-floor
      protectant," secured their food bin more reliably, and started them
      on a brand new five-dollar bale of hay. So it is party time in
      goatsville. The guineas are puzzled by the new fence. They sometimes
      find themselves "trapped" on the wrong side and walk up and down
      squawking for a hour until they find their way around an end we
      haven't fenced in yet, or they get scared and fly up a few feet and
      over it. Hazel, the chicken, is smarter about it.

      > The rain seems to have let up so perhaps I shall go hammer a few
      more staples in the fence.

      > Richard Crews
      >
      > [Note--Richard Crews has been a colonist in residence at the
      Living Universe Foundation's (LUF's) Space-Environments Ecovillage
      (SEE) in Bastrop, Texas since February 2001, and files reports every
      few days about the progress there. These reports are published on
      the web at http:/AAA/crews-see-reports.blogspot.com--take out
      the "AAA" before using this url.]

    • Richard Crews
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
        Thanks, John. Good to hear from you.

        wrote:
        > Spring Rain
        >
        > SEE report for Sunday, February 29, 2004
        >
        > It is raining and it is going to rain (to paraphrase Wallace
        Stevens)--the weather report predicts showers more or less
        continuously for the next several days--but the temperature is about
        50 and, with only a faint breeze, it really is very spring-like out.
        [snip]