-- 12/1/3

  • Richard Crews
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      My Philosophy

      SEE report for Monday, December 1, 2003

      It is overcast but quite pleasant out--the temperature is in the 70s; there is no wind. The goats and chickens seem content in their daily lots. There are roof and gutter parts waiting to be cut and installed for the cob house. My health is good. The TV is showing a rerun of an episode of "The West Wing." In short, how could the universe and my life possibly be going better?

      That was a rhetorical question, of course. But it hides a substantial philosophical context. I know there is more going on than meets the eye--more than I am aware of--more than I can know. A hawk can spot a mouse in field a mile away--I cannot reliably spot a mouse in a field ten yards away. A dog can identify from smell a person who walked by several hours, even days, earlier. A cockroach on the kitchen floor in the silence and darkness of midnight can identify, from vibrations in the air, the sex of another cockroach walking several feet away. If these aren't mind-boggling enough as evidence of my lack of awareness of the world around me, how about considering me standing in the middle of the yard--without any TVs or radios--and the thousands upon thousands of complicated electromagnetic signals that are coursing through my head--all unobserved. I know there is more going on than meets the eye--more than I am aware of--more than I can know.

      Moreover, there are understandings that are beyond me--much of mathematics, physics, even biology, and much, much more that I do not have in my mental armamentarium to help me figure things out. Why is this important? It seems quite likely--at least entirely possible--that I do not "get" the patterns, the messages--the what, the why, the wherefore--of the world I live in. Perhaps important "meanings" evade me. Perhaps the Greatest Meaning behind everything evades me.

      Therefore (what are the implications or consequences of these perspectives?)--

      Be of good cheer. One could be angry, worried, depressed, or dysphoric in some other way--but why? One could be wrong.

      Do whatever is next to be done. It doesn't really matter that it seems trivial, illogical, or otherwise out of place. If it is next to be done, do it.

      Richard Crews

      [Note--Richard Crews has been a colonist in residence at the LUF's Space-Environments Ecovillage (SEE) in Bastrop, Texas since February 2001, and files reports every few days on the progress there.]