Re: [luf-team] SEE & Toad

  • RanulfC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
      Yeesh! Ask a few questions and now the guy starts YELLING! at me.....

      (Thanks though it IS easier to read that way :o)

      Randy

    • jonathan clemons
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
        Forwarded from my Ecological News.
        - JRC

        U.S. Navy Sonar System Blocked by Federal Court

        SAN FRANCISCO, California, October 31, 2002 (ENS) - A federal judge today
        issued a preliminary injunction stopping the U.S. Navy from deployment of a
        new high intensity sonar system that could hurt or kill whales, dolphins,
        seals and sea turtles with its loud signals.

        Granting a request by five environmental groups, U.S. Magistrate Judge
        Elizabeth LaPorte ruled that the National Marine Fisheries Service issued
        the Navy a permit that likely violates federal law.

        On July 15, the Navy received its permit to "harass marine mammals" in the
        course of operating low frequency sonar used to detect submarines while
        remaining outside the range of their onboard weapons. The Navy has been
        approved to deploy two ships that use the new sonar system.

        Judge LaPorte found that the plaintiff environmental groups, "have shown
        that they are likely to prevail on establishing violations" of the Marine
        Mammal Protection Act (MMPA), the Endangered Species Act (ESA), the National
        Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the Administrative Procedure Act (APA).

        "They have also shown the possibility, indeed probability, of irreparable
        injury, particularly under the liberal standard applicable under these
        statutes," the judge found.

        SURTASS LFA undergoing tests
        (Photo courtesy U.S. Navy)
        Scheduled for immediate deployment, the sonar system, known as Surveillance
        Towed Array Sensor System Low Frequency Active sonar (SURTASS LFA), relies
        on very loud, low frequency sound to detect submarines at great distances.
        The environmental groups argued that the survival of entire populations of
        whales and other marine mammals are jeopardized by the deployment of this
        sonar, which has been measured at 140 decibels 300 miles away from the
        sound's source.

        Judge LaPorte agreed. "It is undisputed that marine mammals, many of whom
        depend on sensitive hearing for essential activities like finding food and
        mates and avoiding predators, and some of whom are endangered species, will
        at a minimum be harassed by the extremely loud and far traveling LFA sonar,"
        she wrote.

        No Navy spokesperson was available for comment on the injunction. But the
        Navy maintains that SURTASS LFA is an essential component of the U.S.
        defense arsenal.

        "Currently there are 224 submarines operated by non-allied nations, and the
        submarines prowling the world's oceans today are much quieter and more
        deadly than ever before," the Navy says on its LFA website. "An undetected
        enemy submarine is an underwater terrorist, threatening any surface ship or
        coastline within its range."

        Joel Reynolds, senior attorney and director of the Marine Mammals Protection
        Project at the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), the lead plaintiff
        in the case, said, "Today's decision is a crucial step to protect our oceans
        and, in particular, whales and other marine mammals that depend on hearing
        for their very survival."

        National Marine Fisheries officials respond to a pilot whale stranding.
        (Photo courtesy NMFS)
        "Deployment of LFA over 75 percent of the world's oceans, more than 14
        million square miles in the first year alone, threatens marine life on a
        staggering and unprecedented geographic scale, not just the 'small number of
        marine mammals' that the law allows, but countless marine mammals around the
        world," Reynolds said.
        There are two types of sonar - passive and active. Passive sonar listens for
        noises in the water. Active sonar sends out a loud, low-frequency signal and
        waits for responding signals that bounce off distant objects such as
        submarines. Scientists claim that, during testing off the California coast,
        noise from a single LFA system was detected across the breadth of the North
        Pacific Ocean.

        Still, in granting the permit, the National Marine Fisheries Service said
        the sonar will have "no more than a negligible impact on the affected
        species," and "will not have an unmitigable adverse impact on the
        availability of these species or stock(s) for subsistence uses."

        But Naomi Rose, a marine mammal scientist with the Humane Society of the
        United States, one of the coplaintiffs, says, "From a scientific point of
        view, there is very little question that, given the right set of
        circumstances, active sonar can kill marine life."

        "The frightening thing about LFA is that we're flying blind, because the
        Navy has never seriously applied the lessons from previous strandings to its
        LFA system," said Rose.

        This minke whale washed up on Marina State Beach, California was not the
        victim of sonar, but this species could be affected if the LFA is deployed.
        (Photo courtesy Moss Landing Marine Labs)
        The mass stranding of multiple whale species in the Bahamas in March 2000
        and the simultaneous disappearance of the region's entire population of
        beaked whales has been linked to another type of Navy sonar. A federal
        investigation identified testing of a U.S. Navy mid-frequency active sonar
        system as the cause.
        In late September, new mass strandings occurred in the Canary Islands as a
        result of NATO military sonar, and in the Gulf of California two whales died
        as the likely result of an acoustic geophysical survey using loud air guns.

        "The court properly found that the decision to authorize and deploy the LFA
        system cannot be justified under federal law," said Andrew Sabey, a partner
        with the international firm of Morrison & Foerster, which is representing
        the plaintiffs NRDC, the Humane Society, the League for Coastal Protection,
        the Cetacean Society International, and the Ocean Futures Society and its
        president, Jean-Michel Cousteau.

        "The ocean is a precious resource shared by all the world's peoples," said
        Cousteau. "The LFA permit is nothing less than a license to kill, and we are
        enormously grateful to the court for protecting our children's heritage."

        The U.S. Navy's SURTASS LFA website is online at:
        http://www.surtass-lfa-eis.com

        News You Can Use

        Enliven your website or paper with ENS News.
        Daily headlines FREE!
        Contact Us for details.

        AmeriScan
        � Court Blocks Oil Exploration Near Arches Park

        � Boston Waste Hauler Settles Clean Air Case

        � Storage Tank Tester Fined $1 Million

        � Changing Rain Patterns Could Ruin Crops

        � West Nile Virus Blamed for Vanishing Chickadees

        � Atrazine Exposure Alters Frog Sex

        � Rising Nitrogen in Soils May Signal Global Changes

        � Federal Court Stops Cougar Kill

        Copyright Environment News Service (ENS) 2002. All Rights Reserved.

        Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.� Try MSN!
      • Richard Crews
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
          Thanks, Jonathan. Good information.

          Richard Crews

        • jwsmith42000@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2002
            > Thanks, Jonathan. Good information.
            >
            > Richard Crews

            Not only good information but good news. Just because we can we should not
            intentionally harm these species. This type of sonar will do such. The
            military has other means of finding out necessary information without this
            weapon of mass destruction of our ocean brethren.

            I hope the ruling sticks.

            John Wayne