Re: [luf-team] Re: Open Structures

  • kevinrockel@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
      FYI, many years ago I visited a lumber mill, and asked why 2x4s were not 2" x 4". Here is the reason they gave

      2" x 4" is the "rough cut" size of lumber. Originally, people bought rough cut lumber, and then planed it down themselves.
      Then automatic planers came in to being, and you could by rough cut and planed wood from the mill. It was still the same 2"x4"
      rough cut, just run through the planer a few times. Then standardization of the planed size took over, and to get a good finish on the wood under
      all circumnstances (because millers are a lazy lot and don't like hand adjusting the planer for each peice of wood) they plane off a 1/4" inch on each side. Thus a 2x4 is 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

      Now, modern mills are not nearly as wasteful, so they actually rough cut a lot tighter, and getting a true 2" x 4" rough cut wood has become a special order item.

      Nothing mysterious, really.

      Kevin