Re: [luf-team] Re: Fwd: MicroKopter HexaKopter

  • RanulfC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
      Keith wrote:
      >I am of the opinion that technology such as this presents a threat to the status quo for space development. We already have unmanned aerial drones with a loiter time greater than 24 hours.
      >This is while carrying 500 bombs. A lightweight craft with a lightweight payload, designed with maximizing loiter time in mind could easily be built that would have a loiter time of days.
      >With thin film solar a reality, a loiter time of weeks could be just around the corner. Add the capability of active station keeping and the Geo-synchronous satellite becomes completely unnecessary.
      >You could fly above the weather 24/7, sending up a relief craft every few days. Infrastructure upgrades in a system such as this could be put into place in a matter of days instead of years.
      >Compared to going to GEO, such a system would be cheap. Seems to me it is just a matter of time.

      You have a point, very much so since it's quite possible to do something similar with Lighter-Than-Air-craft, or a hybrid of the two but IF such is a "threat" to space development then the issue is with space development not the drone.

      Space development has been far to expensive and the fact that "cheaper" alternatives can be developed COULD be a major hinderance to continued development, but that's a fact we have to live with. Finding a REASON to go into space and stay, (while making a living at it) may in fact take going with the idea that we GO into space for our own reasons and then simply take advantage of the situation since we are up there already.

      Currently the launch market is flat, and there doesn't seem to be a good reason to assume that it's going to get better anytime soon. Which means we MAY have to simply work towards making money at various business ventures and then turn around and expend funds in "non-profitable" space development and simply except the fact that we're only going to make space "pay" once we are up there in some capacity.

      Randy