Re: A washingtonpost.com article from: jdr7181@yahoo.com

  • steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
      Short answer's:

      jobs creation
      exploration (humans love that)
      mining
      etc

      LONG answer (yes it is a little long sorry =( )

      well in order to explain that i will have to explain why in the long run government is a bad place for a space program.

      Government Backed space program: driving force is NOT money,is NOT exploration, it is FOR politicking.

      Private Backed space program: Driving force is NOT politics, it is FOR exploration (don't believe me i will get too it in a second), it is FOR money.

      What is the general aim of a space program:

      1. resource mining
      2. people living in space
      3. people working in space
      4. people exploring space
      ETC

      Lets just work with that

      Government

      1. resource mining: DOES it give the one up on the politics side?
      2. people living in space: DOES it give the one up on the politics side?
      3. people working in space: DOES it give the one up on the politics side?
      4. people exploring space: DOES it give the one up on the politics side?

      Private

      1. resource mining: DOES it give the one up on the money side?
      2. people living in space: DOES it give the one up on the money side?
      3. people working in space: DOES it give the one up on the money side?
      4. people exploring space: DOES it give the one up on the money side?

      I should point out that not the only main reason lots of non-profit main goal is not to make money but to solve something THAT usually involves money.

      Exploration: A private company could run silent for years before they strike gold pun attended.

      now that that is out of the way, as you can see depending on who you ask the reasons are going to be different.

      ok Randy now on to very specific answers

      Resource gathering:

      lets take near earth objects satellite debris etc you need to clean up that stuff so are sky's are not clouded. also to reclaim some resources.

      same for anything far out too

      (i have a idea how we might do this)

      Exploration: you don't believe me that can be a mission statement go out at night and look up. im sure once we get up there (i will cover that in a minute)that you can find several backers money wise to explore.

      OK now for something that i have been thinking about for a LONG time now. WHY does nasa NOT have a space based C&C really that dont make much since does it?

      IT because they are a government backed system not enough political backing for that.

      NOW how would i solve this: ONE of the main problems we have is NO space based command and control or a way to build space ships etc.

      So what i would do is to grab the nears asteroid using the cloaked business plan. so no fan fare most likely using robots we can already send them to mars.

      So bring back the asteroid hollow it out put in these things:

      1. C&C center
      2. r&D center
      3. living quarters
      4. etc

      basically we no longer have to haul everything back up into space

      http://www.spacefuture.com/archive/the_technical_and_economic_feasibility_of_mining_the_near_earth_asteriods.shtml

      for more on how hard that might be

      Thought's, Comments?