Re: Removing blank lines from start of Notes field...

  • wilpolthistory
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2010
      Dennis,

      Could you explain further what you mean by "You will
      > need to make changes if the blank lines are not in the General Notes
      > field."

      Are you saying that this sql update will also remove lines in Medical Notes, or Research Notes or Birth record Notes or Burial Record notes?

      Just wanted to be clear on what you mean.
      Thanks

      Jay

      --- In ltools@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Kowallek <kowallek@...> wrote:

      > Someone on the LUG asked the following question...
      >
      > > I have found that many of my notes have blank lines. I have looked at
      > > a Gedcom of my data and found for example
      > >
      > > 0 @NI40@ NOTE
      > > 1 CONT
      > > 1 CONT
      > > 1 CONT
      > > 1 CONT Baptisms in Barrow Parish Ch (ref nos) Elizabeth(658), Mary
      > >
      > > Is there any way in legacy to remove these extra blank lines?
      >
      > Here's how...
      >
      > You can run the following UPDATE query in LTools' "Run Raw SQL" until it
      > finally returns 0 rows updated...
      >
      > UPDATE tblIR SET tblIR.Notes = Mid([tblIR].[Notes],3) WHERE
      > tblIR.Notes Like Chr("13")+Chr("10")+"%"
      >
      > It removes the leading LF and CR from the General Notes field.
      >
      > --
      >
      > Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
      > dennis@...
      > http://zippersoftware.com/ltools/index.htm

    • Dennis Kowallek
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2010
        On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:32:32 -0000, "wilpolthistory"
        <WilpoltHistory@...> wrote:

        >Could you explain further what you mean by "You will
        >> need to make changes if the blank lines are not in the General Notes
        >> field."
        >
        >Are you saying that this sql update will also remove lines in Medical Notes, or Research Notes or Birth record Notes or Burial Record notes?

        If you make the appropriate changes. If you look at the SQL you will see
        that it is written to only operate on the General Notes (tblIR.Notes)
        column. If you want it to operate on other types of notes, you will need
        to change the query.