Re: [LSDj!] CHIP MUSIC IS DEAD . Manifesto

  • Sam Albaniensson
    Message 1 of 96 , Aug 30, 2007
      On 31/08/2007, Ignatz <quiebre@...> wrote:
      > We reached the point that some of us had to be fearing of
      >
      > VSTi and difussion started to become our enemies,
      > cloning of ideals started mutation and blending
      I see the conflict between purism/elitism and ease of
      availability/cloning. I'm not really a fan of VST chip sound
      emulation, but who are you (Or anyone else) to play the role of a
      representative for the chip scene and say that only the pure chip
      sounds are correct. Who are you to say that it is morally wrong to try
      to emulate chip sounds?
      (I'm actually more of a purist myself, but open-minded. But with the
      sentence above I played the devil's advocate)

      > house and pop music slowly started to leech our sounds,
      > ass well as rock music did. Mainstream is in the end of the tunnel...
      It's a common phenomenon that contemporary artists of different kinds
      (Eg musicians, designers etc) look back 15-30 years and look for
      inspiration. It has happened before, it will happen again. The
      leeching from chip music is not unique in this aspect. (Just about)
      Every musical style is a progression from another, and everything
      blends together in a ocmplex way. Everything either hits mainstream
      sooner or later or dies in an obscure corner.

      > the end seem to be at sight.
      > so, I want to conclude my short words saying:
      >
      > LET US DESTROY 8-BIT and CHIPTUNE,
      > BEFORE MAINSTREAM START TO CLON US and replace our beings with pre-
      > programmed clowns.
      No! Te best way to fight it is by doing something else yourself.
      Destroying yourself by stopping your own creation in order to stop the
      clones is just counter productive. Do you think for example that
      hiphop producers will feel less of an appeal to chip sounds and other
      raw synth sounds if we stop doing our thing.
      No. Spread your own music and styles to counterfeit the mainstream.

      > LETS SAY THIS MUSIC SUCKS, IT'S ALREADY SELL OUT,
      > TONGUE IN CHEEK, LAME AND STUPID. It is noisy and nervous.
      > It's a commercial fake! It's just nintendo and big companies propaganda!
      I see a conflict bewteen "noisy and nervous.", "SUCKS", "LAME AND
      STUPID" and "commercial fake". I think that the "commercially cloned"
      music is actually softer and less noisy and nervous.

      > IT IS ALREADY DEAD.
      >
      > the end is comming. we are doomed. Media will eat us and transform into SHIT.
      If nobody ever said it before, I say it now: "A scene does not truly
      start to live until it is declared dead by its members". Just look at
      the demoscene. It's alive and kicking, although its been declared dead
      several times, and although it's different from what it was 10 or 20
      years ago.

      movh /Sam Albaniensson Falsum

      -----BEGIN 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----
      Low Bitrate Netlabel: <http://f-label.tojt.net/>
      Blog:
      <http://gameboygenius.8bitcollective.com/>
      SKRIVA på Lysator. Ditt Ahrvid-fria alternativ:
      Sätt på ett par flipflops, vippa på rumpan
      och gör det här till en minnesvärd sommar!
      -----END 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----
    • Ignatz
      Message 96 of 96 , Oct 5, 2007
        Hey

        I would not regret my bizarre manifesto anymore!
        I became adicted to the great Bud Melvin's song!

        I played that great track last night in the second pure chiptune party (AD) we organized
        here called GOTO START Level 2 . Also, receptors, n-.-m, role model, covox,
        raeuberhoehle, tb, tobiah, nitro2k, dr blowfins, neotericz and a lot more sounded in my
        dj set.

        I'll post some pictures soon.

        love. ignat.

        --- budmelvin <budmelvin@...> escribió:

        This provoked some interesting thoughts and inspired me to start my
        new album. The first song is here:
        <http://www.8bitcollective.com/music/budmelvin/The+New+New+Real+Real+Folk+Blues>
        (or) http://tinyurl.com/2zert7
        Thanks, Ignat.

        Sé un Mejor Amante del Cine
        ¿Quieres saber cómo? ¡Deja que otras personas te ayuden!
        http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/reto/entretenimiento.html