RE: [lrig-discussion] Barcode printers

  • Paul Henkel
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      Electronic Imaging Materials furnishes high density barcode printing systems
      including labels and ribbons for lab use. The labels and ribbons are matched
      to a particular user's need for solvent exposure and cryogenic storage
      temperature conditions, so if you furnish information about the
      solvents(DMSO, etc.?) you are using, the appropriate supplies can be
      selected.

      We have a useful discussion of supply selection on line at
      http://www.eiminc.com/laboratories/drugdiscovery/index.htm

      Paul Henkel
      Electronic Imaging Materials Inc
      www.barcode-labels.com
      (603) 357 1459 International
      (800) 535 6987 USA

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
        Colleagues,

        I would suggest for -80c work a polyolefin (polypropylene is good) label stock with a cryogenic, acrylic-based adhesive. For optimum chemical resistance you can try pre-printed lables with a protective topcoat.

        If you are concerned about label quality, you can buy verifiers that will check the compliance of your labels and give them a grade, "A" through "F" and PASS/FAIL based on ANSI criteria. A basic verifier is about 1500$.

        There is a wealth of good information in ID Systems magazine from Helmers Publications in Peterboro, New Hampshire. (WWW.IDSystems.Com)

        Kevin Olsen
        Research Compound Bank
        Robotics and Automation Dept.
        Wyeth Ayerst Research
        Pearl River, NY

      • GLadys_Range@hgsi.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
          A good contact for printers and labels is

          Computype
          Bill Harris
          1-410-987-9111
          bharris3@...
          A LAP 4100 thermal transfer printer label applicator system is built around
          the Zebra 90 XiII it is available in either 300 or 600 dots per inch (dpi)
          resolution.

          Velocity11,Inc
          Heather Miksch
          1-650-846-6500
          The VCode barcode print and apply station that is very compact.
        • Napolitano, Christopher
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2000
            Considering that you just want to use a standard printer, I think that a
            good solution to your problem is to investigate Computer Imprintable Label
            Systems (www.cils-labels.com), with any standard barcode printing software.
            CILS's labels can be used in any type of laser printer, have good chemical
            resistance, can be used at a variety of temperatures, and can be purchased
            in a variety custom or standard sizes.

            Combining the labels with any standard barcode printing software (ex.
            Seagull's BarTender) will allow you to query your db, format the labels, and
            then print them.

            Chris Napolitano
            Merck Research Laboratories