We took advantage of a beautiful Sunday and paddled the Deep River from Ramseur

  • Robert Cates
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2007
      We took advantage of a beautiful Sunday and paddled the Deep River
      from Ramseur to Coleridge. (We did set the VCR to record the Heels vs
      Wofpack. See, some people still do that!) There was good flow, nice
      intermittent rapids and not a sole in sight. But we were bothered by
      long stretches of clear cutting right up to the top of the bank
      starting about halfway between Ramseur and Hinshaw Town Rd. bridge and
      then again beyond the bridge. It looked like existing pasture land
      that had recently been cleared up to the bank. Everything on top of
      the bank was gone, and even some of the trees growing out from the
      bank. Does anyone know what the buffer regulations are for NC? Is it
      different from county to county? Who do i complain to, if I can?
      Otherwise a very nice paddle. Lots of ducks and geese, a few
      kingfishers and one lone otter.
      Muskie