Severs and NAB 2006

  • Bob Naismith
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 2:48 PM
      In thinking about the NAB 2006, I have questions to the entire group.

      I would like to look at ALL the various "automation/digital severs" at are being used to insert/playback long and short form programs/spots. I realize that not all will be at NAB, but I would like to see any that are there.

      Some names that come to mind include: Rushworks Master Play, Matco, WinJay, Playbox, Vigor, your "Home Made" severs and etc.

      What are you using and would you recommend it to use, if someone was moving from tape to a server?

      Will you pass along your thoughts?

    • Bill Wyatt
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 3:48 PM
        I don't post frequently on this list, but I read it regularly and appreciate
        the information provided.

        Monday this week we moved our TV antenna to a new location. For 20 years my
        tower work has been done by Greg Harrington, who over the years became a
        good friend. They had completed the move and installed our TV40 antenna atop
        our 400 foot tower and were descending the tower. 30 feet from the ground a
        cable broke and Greg and Mike Hinsberger were pulled to the ground by the
        cable. Greg died. His funeral was today. Mike is in critical condition and
        has not regained consciousness since the fall.

        For those of you in the group that are inclined... please pray for Mike and
        for Greg's family.

        Bill Wyatt
        Martinsville Media
        WHEE-AM1370, WMVA-AM1450, WYAT-TV40, MartinsvilleDaily.com
        P O Box 3551
        1129 Chatham Heights Road
        Martinsville, VA 24115

        Phone (276) 632-2152
        Fax (276) 632-4500
      • Calvin Means - WDNN
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2 7:36 AM
          We have been using Matco servers and automation systems for several years
          with very good results.

          Calvin Means
          WDNN
          Dalton, GA

          > In thinking about the NAB 2006, I have questions to the entire group.
          >
          > I would like to look at ALL the various "automation/digital severs" at are
          > being used to insert/playback long and short form programs/spots. I
          > realize that not all will be at NAB, but I would like to see any that are
          > there.
          >
          > Some names that come to mind include: Rushworks Master Play, Matco,
          > WinJay, Playbox, Vigor, your "Home Made" severs and etc.
          >
          > What are you using and would you recommend it to use, if someone was
          > moving from tape to a server?
          >
          > Will you pass along your thoughts?

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dan Reynolds
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2 12:14 PM
            Bob-

            We did a lot of research into servers when we started our station over 2
            years ago and we chose the RushWorks MasterPlay system. Here's what we like
            about it:

            1. It plays our programs and commercials back in mpeg files

            2. It supports cue tones and inserts our ads even if we are using other
            program feeds such as satellite.

            3. It has a comprehensive file menu system where you can vie wand update
            on-the-fly programs or ads.

            4. It allows us to update our ads or programs via the internet using PC
            Anywhere.

            5. We have the option to encode our shows to mpeg and copy them to the
            MasterPlay and play them back as well.

            6. It has the ability to track spot runs which is helpful in co-op billing
            and verifying of ads.

            7. It's one of those 'rare-find' devices that will do as much or more than
            components costing 2, 3 and 4 times a s much.

            Bob, this is one to take the time to look at. I'm not sure what your
            applications are but we produce 11 local shows a week and switch between 3
            satellite networks and all are routed through the MasterPlay for ad
            insertion.

            Dan Reynolds
            Reynolds Media
            XL7-TV / K26-TV
            870-741-4891
            dan@...
            dan@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2 2:03 PM
              My prayers are with them.
              Bless all of them involved.
              Cherie Erwin
              KSSY TV

              --- Bill Wyatt <bill@...> wrote:

              > I don't post frequently on this list, but I read it
              > regularly and appreciate
              > the information provided.
              >
              > Monday this week we moved our TV antenna to a new
              > location. For 20 years my
              > tower work has been done by Greg Harrington, who
              > over the years became a
              > good friend. They had completed the move and
              > installed our TV40 antenna atop
              > our 400 foot tower and were descending the tower. 30
              > feet from the ground a
              > cable broke and Greg and Mike Hinsberger were pulled
              > to the ground by the
              > cable. Greg died. His funeral was today. Mike is in
              > critical condition and
              > has not regained consciousness since the fall.
              >
              > For those of you in the group that are inclined...
              > please pray for Mike and
              > for Greg's family.
              >
              > Bill Wyatt
              > Martinsville Media
              > WHEE-AM1370, WMVA-AM1450, WYAT-TV40,
              > MartinsvilleDaily.com
              > P O Box 3551
              > 1129 Chatham Heights Road
              > Martinsville, VA 24115
              >
              > Phone (276) 632-2152
              > Fax (276) 632-4500
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Rick Goetz
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2 2:13 PM
                Look at the Playbox system as well. Similar to the RushWorks MasterPlay with
                a few more options and a low-price tag.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2 2:17 PM
                  My prayers go out to the families and to you too. This is a tough time but
                  don't let it discourage you.

                  Rick Goetz
                  R & L Media Systems
                  (615) 826-0792
                  rickg@...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3 6:36 AM
                    Adtec makes a solid video server product with built-in scheduling (I've installed many and had few problems) and NVerzion offers an excellent automation product.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3 10:29 PM
                      Bob;

                      I second Dan. I needed a box that allowed me to expand at a good price point
                      and Masterplay did that. It allows you to have a record AND a playback box
                      separated by inches or kilometers. This allows us to dub in one location and
                      play in another. In addition the Oregon Legislature uses them so that they can
                      record four things at once and the great part is it will allow you to play
                      them back while it is recording. Cue tones, CG and many other things look at
                      them at NAB this is a company that does it right.

                      Ken

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4 6:48 AM
                        Ron Johnson and his group at Adtec are 2006 CBA@NAB
                        Sponsors!

                        Make sure you stop by Ballroom B of the Las Vegas
                        Hilton on Monday, April 24th from 6pm-10pm for a great
                        evening of fun, food, Industry Updates, a peek at new
                        products and a Keynote Presentation by USDTV - New
                        Revenue For Your Digital Future!

                        Log onto www.DTVNow.org for more information!

                        --- JPM <lptv@...> wrote:

                        > Adtec makes a solid video server product with
                        > built-in scheduling (I've installed many and had few
                        > problems) and NVerzion offers an excellent
                        > automation product.

                        Amy Brown
                        Secretary
                        Community Broadcasters Association
                        404-814-7839 phone
                        404-814-7812 fax

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Bob Pettitt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4 9:43 AM
                          Bill:

                          Sorry, but I've been "out of the loop" for a few days. Our prayers are certainly with you and the families involved in your tower accident. I am reminded of losing my friend and engineer Pete Warren who put our station in several years ago. He also fell while installing a satellite dish. Our prayers are with all involved.

                          Bob Pettitt
                          KRHP TV-14
                          The Dalles, OR

                          Bill Wyatt <bill@...> wrote:

[...]

                          ---------------------------------

                        • Stewart, Gary
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 11 7:32 AM
                            I can recommend MasterPlay. We have 4 of them.

                            Gary Stewart
                            Cornerstone TV

                            Adtec makes a solid video server product with built-in scheduling (I've
                            installed many and had few problems) and NVerzion offers an excellent
                            automation product.
                            In thinking about the NAB 2006, I have questions to the entire group.

                            I would like to look at ALL the various "automation/digital severs" at are
                            being used to insert/playback long and short form programs/spots. I realize
                            that not all will be at NAB, but I would like to see any that are there.

                            Some names that come to mind include: Rushworks Master Play, Matco,
                            WinJay, Playbox, Vigor, your "Home Made" severs and etc.

                            What are you using and would you recommend it to use, if someone was
                            moving from tape to a server?

                            Will you pass along your thoughts?

                            Service.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Downtown
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 11 8:38 AM
                              Adtec will be at the CBA@NAB Event as a 2006
                              Supporting Vendor! The meeting is being held at the
                              Las Vegas Hilton, Ballroom B at 6pm on the 24th of
                              April.