Re: Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats

  • Terrell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2012
      Methane is an interesting topic. Highly misunderstood. Two recent articles at realclimate.org provide good perspective on methane impacts, particularly associated with hydrates in the Arctic.

      "But the methane worst case does not suddenly spell the extinction of human life on Earth. It does not lead to a runaway greenhouse. The worst-case methane scenario stands comparable to what CO2 can do. What CO2 will do, under business-as-usual, not in a wild blow-the-doors-off unpleasant surprise, but just in the absence of any pleasant surprises (like emission controls). At worst comparable to CO2 except that CO2 lasts essentially forever"

      There's even an online model to play with.  Bottom line, it's the  CO2 from fossil fuel (and land use changes) we need to be most concerned about.

      http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2012/01/an-arctic-methane-worst-case-scenario/#more-10411

      http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2012/01/an-online-model-of-methane-in-the-atmosphere/#more-10545