Re: Digest Number 146

  • Richard@rcvs.org.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 1999
      > this may not be exactly pertinent to this list but....i'm doing work on a
      > poem "the artist" by Stanley Kunitz that is in reference to Rothko (I
      > believe Rothko's Chapell)..and my big gaping weakness is art history. The
      > poem refers to rothko's "ravishment"...i was wondering if this was
      > literal, or just another reference by kunitz to something else, i.e., does
      > anyone know if rothko was nuts etc.

      My approach with these things was always to claim "Death of the
      Author" (or "intentional fallacy" if dealing with fogeys); it hardly
      matters what happened in Rothko or Kunitz's lives. What matters
      is the words on the page.

      If it's a short poem, you could always post it to the list. I bet you'd
      get some interesting comments... There are some Rothko fans out
      here, I know that for sure.

      Rich (one of the Rothko fans, but not very knowledgeable about
      him)

      Latest on (musings): reviews (with MP3s) of
      new CD releases featuring, among others, John Stevens,
      Chris Speed, Dave Douglas, Wayne Horovitz, Bobby Previte,
      Francois Houle, Hans Tammen, Keith Tippett, Jerry
      Granelli, Thurston Moore...
      http://www.come.to/musings.com
      +++STOP PRESS+++
      Also Run Ra, John Tchicai, Braxton, Ganelin Trio...