[as] october 2004

  • Benjamin Green
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      ...as...
      airs: every SATURDAY midnight 104.4FM [london, uk]
      live streams: http://www.resonancefm.com
      other places/times: http://www.worldtimeserver.com
      contribute: b[at]estsoks.demon.co.uk

      02.10.04
      Si_COMM & S.E.T.I.: [as] HYPERLANGUAGE

      A sound environment specially commissioned by Ben Green for transmission
      on Resonance 104.4 FM. Copyright 2004.

      Project OVERVIEW: This recording is a commissioned piece designed to
      thematically relate to the PROBE CD released by VIVO of Poland
      (www.vivo.pl) in April 2004. After being approached by Ben Green to
      record a new work, we decided to construct a piece which would
      compliment these recently released recordings, and further elaborate on
      some of the themes set down in the sleeve notes for PROBE.

      PROBE examines the notion of an impending new species of Posthuman
      beings. These bio-technological entities from our deep future, will bear
      only the merest trace of their human origins, and will no doubt greatly
      exceed what we currently understand to be the limits of human
      performance and intelligence. Far from being a sci-fi fantasists’ dream
      of transcendence, these theories hint at a very real possibility for the
      future of mankind.

      Given that language appears to evolve alongside the great leaps of human
      cognition and intuition, how might the language of these Posthumans be
      constructed? What will language become?

      Language is both a system of communication and an information processing
      tool. The roots of human language appear to have emerged during a period
      of information overload. The existing communicative methods of primitive
      “proto-languages”, a series of semi-coherent vocalisations,
      social/emotional interaction, and pre-verbal physical gesture used by
      early Man were “overwritten” in response to an overload, or chaos that
      arises when the informatic capacity of this previous set of languages
      could no longer cope, or had reached a new level of complexity. Given
      that hominids continually acquired new skills, for example- tool making;
      their lives increased in complexity. The early hominid mind could no
      longer cope with the richness of it’s life solely on the basis of its
      perceptual continuum, and language began to take a whole new
      evolutionary leap. In relation to the human brain, evolution on a
      biological level has reached its peak ( the head of an infant could only
      become so big in order to pass through the hips of its mother, and to
      retain the capacity for mobility – a vital factor for survival) , and
      after all of the physical mechanisms for increasing intelligence are
      exhausted, nature has conspired to increase human intelligence by using
      a technological, rather than biological strategem.

      We are currently poised on the brink of ever more rapid transitions in
      technology, and our interaction with it. The human communications
      landscape is exponentially increasing in volume, speed and capacity, as
      we strive to reach out into the Universe, and connect with each other in
      more complex, accelerated ways. To an extent, for the first time, it is
      We who are being transformed by our technology, and not vice-versa.

      As we speak, successive generations of young children are being thrust
      into the fast lane of cutting edge communications technology by their
      rapid (and somewhat remote) interactions with mobile phones (and the new
      accelerated language of “texting”). The mass usage of Computer games,
      and Personal Computers (particularly the World Wide Web), have led to
      the common utilisation of ever more complex and abbreviated
      terminologies. The internet in particular is a breeding ground for new
      language, as knowledge and ideas are transmitted globally at high speed.
      The Net has its own unique semantics, particularly, hypertext and
      hyperlinks, which we see as the foundation of a HYPERLANGUAGE – a
      revolutionary new spoken (if such a term will exist) mode of
      communication for the deep future. The recording project –
      HYPERLANGUAGE, is an artistic speculation - an analysis of our potential
      relationship with highly advanced communications technology in the deep
      future.

      Given that tool-making generated a major shift in thinking that led to
      the foundations of spoken language – it should come as no great surprise
      that new technologies and cognitive structures (the evolution of the
      mind), should seed the development of a new kind of universal language –
      a non- verbal HYPERLANGUAGE that is communicated at vast speed and
      capacity through rapid transmission systems that will greatly exceed
      anything we could possibly imagine at present. What we present here is
      an imaginary switch point at some futuristic information exchange,
      inhabited by fragments of human vocalisations, hybrids of what we
      currently understand as language, fused with digital information, and
      all of the inherent noise that accumulates in an overloaded system.

      The evolution of a new form of language, its trajectories and impact
      from a psychological, developmental, emotional, and educational
      perspective are deeply interesting to us. Please submit comments and
      feedback to the Lagowski blog:

      www.lagowski.com
      www.ecm323.co.uk
      www.vivo.pl

      Si_COMM updates at the blog: http://sicomm.blogspot.com
      09.10.04
      Dale Lloyd: one hour as air pressure variations from a doorway/one hour
      as volatile & fixed principles

      air pressure variations from a doorway:
      I recorded two performances of air pressure manipulations using only a
      wooden door to maniplulate the tones. Very slight movements were
      required to capture some of the subtle nuances and overtones. The
      recordings themselves are not manipulated or processed. Aside from the
      air pressure tones themselves, there are also incidental sounds which
      come from the hallway outside the door, from a room upstairs, from a
      nearby refrigerator in very close proximity, and on the second recording
      of the two, I had mailing tape holding the door lock open, which was
      gradually coming unstuck, that made occasional high click sounds. On the
      first of the two recordings, I used duct tape, hence the lack of such
      sounds.

      volatile and fixed principles (excerpt):
      This is a segment from an upcoming release with the leeraum collective
      in Switzerland. The entire work was created using various kinds of metal
      objects, environmental recordings, and electronic sound sources.

      http://www.and-oar.org/dalelloyd.html
      http://www.leerraum.ch
      16.10.04
      [no show]

      23.10.04
      anték vvon cunt: one hour as fürv

      O que e um prato nacional?

      Pergunto-me e responda pela voz de Fialho de Almeida: <<Uma composicao
      culinaria rebele a escrita dos manuais, caracteristica, inconfudivel.
      (...) Transmite-se por tradicao; os estrangeiros nao sabem
      confecciona-lo, mesmo naturalizados; tendo chegado ate nos por processos
      lentos, e contrapovras de bilioes de experimentadores, sucessivamente
      interessados em fixar na sua forma irrepreensivel, resulta ser ele
      sempre uma coisa eminemtemente sapida e sadia. (...) 0 prata nacional e,
      como o romanceiro nacional, um produto de genio colectivo: ninguem o
      inventou e inventaram-no todos.>>
      (in Jose Quiterio, Livro de Bem Comer)

      http://66.225.223.75/furv/

      ...as... 2cdr
      28 tracks on two cdrs. contributors: REIKO.A, joe colley, jason
      lescalleet, tetuzi akiyama, AMT, DSM, christophe charles, brendan walls,
      loren chasse, yannick dauby, kozo inada, rudolf eb.er, bruce russell,
      steve roden, kuwayama kiyoharu, seth nehil, stefan roigk, eric la casa,
      michael j. schumacher, david maranha, zbigniew karkowski, matt
      shoemaker, RLW, achim wollscheid, alexandre st-onge, utah kawasaki,
      christof migone,yasunao tone/mark fell. come wrapped in uniquely
      designed wax-proof paper.
      buy online: http://www.resonancefm.com/shop.php
      donate: http://www.resonancefm.com/support.htm