Re: suggestions?

  • Stasisfield.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1 3:24 AM

      --

      hi crys,

      i don't know of a card with all three of those inputs, but i have a
      Roland ED UA-30 usb audio interface, which has RCAs, optical +
      coaxial inputs, along with a mic/guitar in (a single 1/4" mono
      input). it's basically a small two-line mixer, with a slider (not a
      knob--nice) for both the mic in and any one at a time of the
      RCA/optical/or coax. i bought it in 2000 for about $280, so i would
      imagine you could find it cheaper now. works great in OS 9.2, haven't
      used it in OSX yet tho.

      john kannenberg

      [ http://www.stasisfield.com ]

      [ http://www.whistlingpariah.com ]
    • jkudler@mail.wesleyan.edu
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1 3:14 PM
        you might look into the digidesign mbox usb card. it's got xlr and 1/4"
        balanced inputs. although you should be sure to find out if it's compatible
        with the software you're using, as i think digi products aren't always super
        versatile that way.

        digidesign.com

        good luck,
        jesse

        Quoting crys cole <dial_ogue11@...>:

        > hello all,
        >
        > I recently purchased an ibook, for use with my audio work. I am
        > wondering if anyone has any input or suggestions regarding sound
        cards
        > for
        > laptops. I will not be composing within the computer so much as
        feeding
        > analog sounds and recordings into the computer for manipulation &
        > mixing
        > ect. So i would need a card with 1/4" , mini, and xlr inputs.
        >
        > also... hopefully something affordable...
        >
        > thanks in advance for any tips!
        >
        > ~ crys cole

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Eric Leonardson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2 7:39 PM
          Well, it's not a card but I am happy with what the Tascam US428 does for me and my
          Ti-Book, when latency isn't a critical issue. For $419 this USB audio and MIDI I/O
          and surface controller has four analog inputs. Two inputs have both XLR and 1/4"
          inch, the other two are 1/4" only. It also has coaxial digital I/O.

          There's an OS X driver but I hasn't switched to that yet,

          Best regards,
          Eric

          --
          Upcoming Performances & Events: http://pages.ripco.net/~eleon/whatsnew.html
          Home page: http://pages.ripco.net/~eleon
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2 10:48 PM
            [lowercase-sound] Re: suggestions?
            At 9:39 PM -0600 2/2/03, Eric Leonardson wrote:
            Well, it's not a card

            The original request was in connection with an iBook, so presumably the options are PCMCIA (cardbus), USB, or FireWire. Not PCI.

            Richard Zvonar, PhD
            (818) 788-2202
            http://www.zvonar.com
            http://RZCybernetics.com