Curtains for noise...

  • Rod Stasick
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
      Hi.
      Does
      anyone besides me find this idea an abomination.
      "...din"? (a glorious
      one!)
      "...plagued"? "...offending"?

      Rod

      ===
      Fluxus Registry: http://www.fluxus.org/registry/#Stasick

      The Jerry Hunt Home Page: http://members.aol.com/huntjerry
    • .maria (Maria Klein)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
        sounds like something achim wollscheid is already doing, except cheesier.
        .m

        From: Rod Stasick <rostasi@...>

        Hi.
        Does
        anyone besides me find this idea an abomination.
        "...din"? (a glorious
        one!)
        "...plagued"? "...offending"?

        Rod

        > from the London free paper METRO Wednesday June
        > 30th 1999:

        > INVENTION THAT MEANS IT'S CURTAINS FOR NOISE
        >
        > A new invention could spell an end to noisy
        > neighbours and cut out the
        > din of passing traffic.
        >
        > People plagued by booming stereos, car horns and
        > roadworks just draw the
        > curtains.
        >
        > The invention, called the Smart Curtain, provides
        > instant sound-proofing
        > - and even turns incoming noise into pleasant
        > melodies.
        >
        > Andreas Raptopoulos designed the invention, which
        > effectively decreases
        > the level of noise by more than half.
        >
        > Mr Raptopoulos, who had the brainwave at his home
        > in Edgware Road in
        > London, now hopes to find a backer for the curtain
        > which weighs just
        > 13lbs.
        >
        > The 25-year-old student at the Royal College of
        > Art said: 'The idea just
        > came to me when I was sitting in my room trying to
        > concentrate. My
        > housemates are sometimes quite noisy and it always
        > seems to happen when
        > you need a bit of privacy.
        >
        > 'Having control over a noisy environment makes
        > people feel less stressed
        > out and more comfortable.'
        >
        > Mr Raptopoulos was yesterday awarded �2000 by the
        > British Standards
        > Institution for creating a design which promotes a
        > better environment.
        >
        > HOW THE DEVICE WORKS
        >
        > <explanatory diagram>
        >
        > 1 - Outside noise can range from pneumatic drills,
        > aircraft, traffic or
        > even neighbours.
        >
        > 2 - The lightweight, translucent rubber sheet
        > hangs like an ordinary
        > curtain and can be folded away when not in use.
        >
        > 3 - Microphones contained within the curtain take
        > noise signals and send
        > them to a digital processing unit. This box
        > transforms the offending
        > noise by altering the frequencies.
        >
        > 4 - The noise is then played back through
        > electronic devices called
        > 'exciters' embedded in the curtain which vibrate
        > and produce a sound
        > which resembles the sea.

        ===
        Fluxus Registry: http://www.fluxus.org/registry/#Stasick

        The Jerry Hunt Home Page: http://members.aol.com/huntjerry

        RIFFAGE.COM provides promotion tools for musicians - FREE! Chat rooms,
        merchandise sales, gig listings, and more. We host your songs online,then
        deliver listeners. Register today at http://www.riffage.com/onelisttext2

      • Steven Taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
          But quite handy for listening to Bernhard Gunter if you live on Edgeware
          Road...
          (minus the 'turns incoming noise into pleasant melodies' bit)
          Which a friend of mine does! He has to play it very loud
          (which doesnt seem quite right).

          Steve

          Steve

          play : horseopera@...
          work : stevet@...
          else : kung.funk@...
        • Caleb T. Deupree
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
            At 06:34 PM 7/1/99 +0100, Steven Taylor wrote:
            >From: Steven Taylor <kung.funk@...>
            >
            >But quite handy for listening to Bernhard Gunter if you live on Edgeware Road
            >Which a friend of mine does! He has to play it very loud
            >(which doesnt seem quite right).

            I also turn the volume fairly far up when I listen to Bernhard et al., and
            while it doesn't seem right to me either, it is an exceptional day when
            there isn't so much ambient noise that this isn't necessary (and I live in
            what I would consider a quiet neighborhood). However, my normal volume for
            most music is not especially loud, certainly nothing like where the volume
            would be if I saw the act live. Perhaps this music *must* be listened to
            at concert volume if it is to be heard at all.

            So at what volume level does everyone else listen to this music at home?
            How loud is it in a live performance? In a gallery installation?

            --
            Caleb Deupree
            cdeupree@...

            It is pretty obvious that the debasement of the human mind caused by a
            constant flow of fraudulent advertising is no trivial thing. There is more
            than one way to conquer a country.

            -- Raymond Chandler
          • Boob70@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
              Sounds like hell.
            • Bernhard Guenter
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 1999
                "Caleb T. Deupree" wrote:

                > I also turn the volume fairly far up when I listen to Bernhard et al., and
                > while it doesn't seem right to me either, it is an exceptional day when
                > there isn't so much ambient noise that this isn't necessary (and I live in
                > what I would consider a quiet neighborhood). However, my normal volume for
                > most music is not especially loud, certainly nothing like where the volume
                > would be if I saw the act live. Perhaps this music *must* be listened to
                > at concert volume if it is to be heard at all.

                > So at what volume level does everyone else listen to this music at home?
                > How loud is it in a live performance? In a gallery installation?

                well, i listen to my own music at rather low level, let's say like a
                quiet conversation with one or two friends (sometimes, one says
                something in a whisper :-) ...). in a performance, i think the best
                volume level is equal to a string quartet... you see, my music is not
                necessarily a "low volume music", it just has a large dynamic range...
                in terms of level (which i read on the DAT machine i use as a D/A
                converter for what i do on my macintosh), the loudest moments in all of
                my recent works will go up to 0 dB, while much (or most) of the music is
                around -40 db to -12 db, and will sometimes go as low as -60 dB... in
                some older pieces, like on 'un peu de neige salie' or 'details
                agrandis', level will not go higher than -12dB. in terms of frequency, i
                use very low frequencies often, which results in a high level on the
                meter, but does not sound very loud (low frequencies take more
                energy)... i also use a very wide spectrum from around 15 Hz to 22 KHz
                (which is not quite red book compatible - most cd players have no
                problem with this, though, because there is a filter at 20KHz, but i
                cannot listen to 'neige' on mine, because it goes crazy over the
                highs... still, even if we can't hear frequencies that high, and cd
                players will not go over 20KHz, the interference of these frequencies
                with lower, audible frequencies will give a change of sound)...

                with music on acoustic instruments i listen to (which is mostly
                contemporary chamber music, because it is hard to listen to orchestral
                works in a very realistic way), i tend to go near about 3/4 of the level
                of the actual loudness of the instruments (because of the neighbors) - i
                have a very nice system that gives a good impression of such music...
                and if i need to rock out :-), i will take my disc man and ruin my ears
                a little (hopefully not too much)...

                bernhard
                --
                elle fonderait
                dans ma main - THINKING WITHOUT WORDS IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL