Re: [lowercase-sound] Enjoyment of Field Recordings (?)

  • Caleb T. Deupree
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
      At 03:36 AM 10/31/01 -0000, wownflutter@... wrote:

      I'm just trying to articulate why field recordings (and drones) are
      so attractive
      <<<<

      I will concur with Howard's remarks about field recordings as source
      material for various processing, by artists such as Marchetti, Bennett, et
      al (I'd also add Ora, Eric LaCasa and mnortham to his list of artists
      working in this area).

      There are two additional elements to field recordings that I find
      attractive that haven't come up in this thread yet. The first was pointed
      out by Bernhard G√ľnter in interviews, and perhaps on this list: sounds from
      the real world have much more complex, and therefore more interesting,
      sonic properties than electronically generated ones. Bernhard uses
      recorded sounds almost exclusively in his compositions for this reason.
      This is probably why all of the artists that Howard mentions are able to
      create such interesting and different work.

      The second reason really addresses the drone question as much as the field
      recordings. I love drones, especially ones based on field recordings,
      because they don't coerce me into acting in a certain rhythm. If I'm
      dancing, walking, or any number of other activities that require momentum,
      music with beats is great. But for listening or as background to creative
      work, beatless music is essential for letting my body and mind find their
      own rhythm.
      --

      Caleb Deupree
      cdeupree@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        --- Howard Stelzer <hstelzer@...> wrote:
        > The sounds are simply building blocks, like
        > instruments or
        > recordings of anything else.

        aaaaaaaahhhhhhh, yes...and what fun and enjoyment to use these...

        +%

        Find a job, post your resume.
        http://careers.yahoo.com