RE: [lowercase-sound] beyond baroque

  • Michael Araujo - LAX
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
      can anyone direct me to some francisco lopez
      releases that are more of the 'wall of sound' variety
      rather than the more minimal material i am used to?
    • Caleb T. Deupree
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
        At 05:14 PM 8/1/00 -0700, Michael Araujo - LAX wrote:
        >can anyone direct me to some francisco lopez
        >releases that are more of the 'wall of sound' variety
        >rather than the more minimal material i am used to?

        You don't specify the material you're used to, but for the Lopez releases
        I'd consider in a 'wall of sound' section, I'd include La Selva (relatively
        unadulterated recordings of the Costa Rican rain forest, on V2_Archief),
        Temizlemek (a 2CD set on Linea Alternativa, which includes many pieces from
        his early period through the start of the untitled series), and Belle
        Confusion 969 (on Sonoris), which is another rain forest piece (although
        more treated than La Selva). Belle Confusion 966, on Trente Oiseaux,
        starts quietly, but also includes a live version which is definitely in the
        wall of sound category.

        --
        Caleb Deupree
        cdeupree@...

        Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance
        like nobody's watching.

        -- Satchel Paige
      • Michael Araujo - LAX
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
          i am familiar with his untitled series, for the most part...
          though i've also heard la selva...i just don't own a copy yet...

          thanks for the feedback!

          At 05:14 PM 8/1/00 -0700, Michael Araujo - LAX wrote:
          >can anyone direct me to some francisco lopez
          >releases that are more of the 'wall of sound' variety
          >rather than the more minimal material i am used to?

          You don't specify the material you're used to, but for the Lopez releases
          I'd consider in a 'wall of sound' section, I'd include La Selva (relatively
          unadulterated recordings of the Costa Rican rain forest, on V2_Archief),
          Temizlemek (a 2CD set on Linea Alternativa, which includes many pieces from
          his early period through the start of the untitled series), and Belle
          Confusion 969 (on Sonoris), which is another rain forest piece (although
          more treated than La Selva). Belle Confusion 966, on Trente Oiseaux,
          starts quietly, but also includes a live version which is definitely in the
          wall of sound category.

          --
          Caleb Deupree
          cdeupree@...

          Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance
          like nobody's watching.

          -- Satchel Paige
        • Nirav Soni
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
            > can anyone direct me to some francisco lopez
            > releases that are more of the 'wall of sound' variety
            > rather than the more minimal material i am used to?

            Untitiled #89 on Touch builds to *Massive* drone, which I suppose reflects
            the "tape-hiss to jet engine roar" as someone described one of his live
            conecerts.

            Cheers,
            Nirav
            --
            OnNow- godspeed you black emperor!/Low- Do You Know How to Waltz?
            "Survival is not possible if one approaches his enviornment, the social