I love baked goods.....

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 24, 2008
      Do any of you have any healthy baked good recipes? Cookies, scones?
      My big downfall...unfortunately.
    • ivmsmith@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 3, 2008
        Hazelnut Shortbread I use almond flour or any nut flour will do. Pretty goog treat
        (I got it from Twila and she doesn't know where she got it from!)

        Preheat oven to 325�
        2 cups hazelnuts
        2 sticks (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
        1/2 cup Splenda
        1 egg
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        1/4 teaspoon baking powder
        1 cup vanilla whey protein powder
        2 tablespoons water
        First grind the hazelnuts to a fine meal with a food processor.
        Set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until it's fluffy.
        Add the Splenda, and beat well again.
        Next beat in the egg, again combining well.
        Sprinkle the salt and baking powder over the top of the mixture, and add half
        the hazelnuts.
        Beat them in, then add the rest of the hazelnuts and beat again.
        Beat in the vanilla whey protein powder next, and then the water.
        You will now have a soft, sticky dough.
        Line a shallow baking pan - a jelly roll pan is best, and mine is 11 1/2" by
        15 1/2" -- with baking parchment, and turn the dough out onto the parchment.
        Cover it with another piece of parchment, and through the top sheet, press
        the dough
        out into an even layer covering the whole pan.
        It should be about 1/4" thick.
        Peel off the top sheet of parchment, and score the dough into squares using a
        knife with a straight, thin blade, or a pizza cutter.
        Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden.
        You'll need to rescore the lines before removing the shortbread from the pan
        -- use a straight up and down motion and the shortbread will be less likely to
        break.
        If you always loved Walker's Shortbread, you have *got* to try this recipe!
        40 g. usable carb in the whole batch; how much per piece will depend on how
        big or small you cut the squares, of course!

        --
        This message scanned by
        McAfee Security Center 2007
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3, 2008
          Cheese Danish modified from the original:

          2 Eggs
          4 oz. cream cheese
          1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
          cinnamon

          Spray microwavable bowl with Pam. Put cream cheese in bowl and soften
          in microwave (I do 1 min on 50% power). Mix in eggs, vanilla, and
          cinnamon (I use about 1 tsp). Microwave for 2 1/2 min. on High.

          Variations: Add in 1 tsp. lemon juice
          Add in 1 tbl. SF Preserves...I put a big glob in the
          middle prior to cooking, then mix it in afterwards.

          Protein Powder Doughnut Holes

          1 egg
          1/2 stick (1/4 c) butter, melted
          2 tbsp Splenda or erythritol
          1 tsp vanilla
          1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
          Splenda & cinnamon for topping
          Canola oil

          Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet until it's hot enough
          for frying. While the oil heats, beat the egg lightly with the
          melted butter, then add the Splenda, protein powder, and vanilla.
          Whisk together until all the lumps are pretty much broken up, then
          let it rest a minute or two and whisk a bit more (batter will still
          have a grainy look to it, but that's fine). Using a small ladle or
          large spoon, drop the batter by large tablespoonfuls into the hot
          oil in batches of 4. Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, which will
          only take a few seconds, then flip. Drain on paper towels, then
          sprinkle with Splenda and cinnamon to taste and serve hot.

          Makes about 8 doughnut holes, and serves 2-4 depending on how piggy
          you are.

          COUNTS:
          Counts are for total recipe, excluding the sprinkled
          Splenda/cinnamon, and may vary a little bit depending on your brand
          of whey. The carbs are mostly from the Splenda, so using an
          alternative heat-stable sweetener will cut the carb count a bit more
          (I use erythritol).
          Calories: 586
          Fat: 52g
          Carbs: 6g
          Protein: 24g

          --
          This message scanned by
          McAfee Security Center 2007
        • Sarah Long
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
            I get the sugar free angel food cake marked down at Wal-Mart. It isn't exactly carb-free but I don't count the sugar alcohol carbs so it makes it reasonable.

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
              In a message dated 2/4/2008 10:09:33 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              sarah_d_ann@... writes:

              I get the sugar free angel food cake marked down at Wal-Mart. It isn't
              exactly carb-free but I don't count the sugar alcohol carbs so it makes it
              reasonable.

              How many carbs in a sugar free angel food cake? They don't market that as
              low carb, do they? It's still got flour in it, right? ~shudder~ I can't
              even imagine eating that. How does it affect your weight loss?

              48)

            • janenem@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                In a message dated 2/4/08 12:08:57 PM, sarah_d_ann@... writes:

                > I get the sugar free angel food cake marked down at Wal-Mart.  It isn't
                > exactly carb-free but I don't count the sugar alcohol carbs so it makes it
                > reasonable.

                Isn't there still flour in it?

                "Sugar free" doesn't mean something is "low carb".

                Suellen

                Atkins since 12/29/03
                maintenance since 9/23/05

              • Sarah Long
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                  Net carbs (after fiber and sugar alcohols for me) for 1/6 of the cake are 5 grams. Definitely not an all the time thing but what I do is divide the cake into the servings and then freeze them individually. That way when I want a treat I can thaw a serving have it with Breyers low-carb ice cream or something else low carb.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                    In a message dated 2/5/2008 10:30:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    sarah_d_ann@... writes:

                    Net carbs (after fiber and sugar alcohols for me) for 1/6 of the cake are 5
                    grams. Definitely not an all the time thing but what I do is divide the cake
                    into the servings and then freeze them individually. That way when I want a
                    treat I can thaw a serving have it with Breyers low-carb ice cream or
                    something else low carb.

                    Just out of curiosity, how many sugar alcohols? I can't and don't deduct
                    them.

                    If it were me, I'd do either/or, but not both cake and ice cream. That
                    sounds like just inviting trouble to me.

                    Thanks for sharing! And definitely proceed with extreme caution. YMMV!

                    Laura

                    48)

                  • janenem@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                      In a message dated 2/5/08 12:30:11 PM, sarah_d_ann@... writes:

                      > Net carbs (after fiber and sugar alcohols for me) for 1/6 of the cake are 5
                      > grams.  Definitely not an all the time thing but what I do is divide the
                      > cake into the servings and then freeze them individually.  That way when I want
                      > a treat I can thaw a serving have it with Breyers low-carb ice cream or
                      > something else low carb.

                      Tough love here...

                      Junk food with junk food.

                      It's not just about the net carbs ... it's about quality. Neither of those
                      foods are quality.

                      And... food shouldn't be a "treat".

                      But that's me.

                      Suellen

                      Atkins since 12/29/03
                      maintenance since 9/23/05

                    • Judy Purrington
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                        Angel Food Cake does have a lot of egg whites and a lot of air, and is
                        often served plain. According to the Sugar Free Angel Food Cake recipe
                        I found on recipesecrets.net It takes a cup of flour for the whole
                        recipe, with 7 grams of Carbs per piece -- 12 servings per cake. One
                        could probably have a much more serious indulgence than that. I'm
                        posting the recipe I found, below. I have not tried it, and I did not
                        do the nutritional calculations. Please do the math, if you worry that
                        the calculations may be off. I do plan to try the recipe out soon. I
                        will substitute Jena-Marie's Flour Blend for the regular flour, which
                        will lower the carbs a bit; and Ill probably substitute Splenda or
                        Diabetasweet for the Sugar Twin -- as I can't stand the U.S. version
                        of Sugar Twin!

                        Judy

                        Angel Food Cake

                        1 cup cake flour
                        1 teaspoon cream of tartar
                        1/4 cup sugar twin
                        1 cup egg whites (8 to 10 eggs)
                        1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

                        Sift 1/8 cup Sugar Twin and flour together four times. Beat egg whites
                        and cream of tartar until foamy. Add remaining sugar a little at a
                        time, beating in well. Add flavorings and beat until very stiff. Fold
                        flour into egg white and sugar mixture, sifting small amounts at a
                        time. Pour into 10-inch ungreased tube pan. Cut through with a spatula
                        to remove air bubbles. Bake at 275 degrees for 30 minutes, then raise
                        the heat to 300 degrees and bake until done. Invert pan over bottle
                        neck for one hour before removing form pan. Makes 12 servings.

                        Nutritional Information (1 serving):
                        Calories: 44
                        Carbohydrate: 7 grams
                        Protein: 3 grams
                        Fat: trace
                        Saturated Fat: trace
                        Cholesterol: 0 mg
                        Fiber: trace
                        Sodium: 44 mg
                        Potassium: 91 mg
                        Calcium: 7 mg
                        Exchanges: 1/2 starch
                        __________________
                        http://www.foodpals.com/KitchenWitchCooks

                        --- In low-carb-recipe-exchange@yahoogroups.com, janenem@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 2/4/08 12:08:57 PM, sarah_d_ann@... writes:
                        >

                        > > I get the sugar free angel food cake marked down at Wal-Mart. It
                        isn't
                        > > exactly carb-free but I don't count the sugar alcohol carbs so it
                        makes it
                        > > reasonable.
                        > >

                        > Isn't there still flour in it?
                        >
                        > "Sugar free" doesn't mean something is "low carb".
                        >

                        > Suellen
                        >
                        > Atkins since 12/29/03
                        > maintenance since 9/23/05

                      • Debbie Baldwin
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
                          Thank you for the recipe. I have to try this. Low in carbs and
                          calories. Sounds like something to look forward to. I have to ask,
                          because I am not understanding. Someone said "food shouldn't be a
                          treat". I can't eat anything I don't like. I thought food should be
                          enjoyed. I cannot eat olives or pickles, because I don't like them. If
                          we can't look at food as a "treat" once in a while and enjoy it
                          (slowly) then is it supposed to be a burden, or a chore? Then I might
                          as well give up eating and die. What do you all think? I am a carb
                          addict I admit, but I can't see spending the rest of my life forcing
                          myself to eat things that taste bad. I thought if I eat low carb but
                          healthy low carb with the healthful carbs "I like" or that "taste
                          good" to me. Such as broccoli and cauliflower, but I don't like
                          asparagus stringy, etc. I fix myself low carb smoothies from Dana
                          Carpender's book as a "treat" to look forward to, once in a while. Is
                          this bad? Am I looking at my eating habits or my diet all wrong? What
                          is your opinions as a discussion, not an argument?

                          Sena

                          --- In low-carb-recipe-exchange@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Purrington"

                        • maxsmom77@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
                            Sena,

                            What you'll have to understand is that some in the LC world are hard nosed
                            about what you put in your mouth. Some are not.

                            I enjoy food as well, but I'm not obssessed with it. I eat what I enjoy and
                            if it means a LC "treat" - be it whatever you call it, I just call it food
                            and don't give it that much power over me. I made Jimmy Moore's LC Lemon
                            Cheesecake the other day. My family all enjoys it. But guess what, 1/2 the
                            container still sits in the fridge after several days. You see, it's not an
                            obssession but an enjoyment.

                            Some people are not fat because they obssess over food, some are. I don't
                            see a thing wrong with enjoying food that is allowed (and I should say, that
                            everyone's LC plan is different and what is allowed on some is not on the
                            others). I just see way too many people being the food police when honestly, we
                            should just watch what goes in our own mouths and not others. If someone is
                            asking for help and truly needs serious direction, that is one thing, but
                            judging people and what they eat is definitely a whole 'nother ball of wax. Not
                            a popular opinion (especially on LC boards) but it is just that, my opinion.
                            Take it or leave it!

                            Good luck to you!

                            From another food enjoyer:

                            Yvonne

                            48)

                          • janenem@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
                              In a message dated 2/6/08 1:48:25 PM, deb@... writes:

                              > Someone said "food shouldn't be a
                              > treat". I can't eat anything I don't like. I thought food should be
                              > enjoyed. I

                              "Treat" was used (by me) in the sense of "reward" ... as in, "I deserve to
                              have this low carb ice cream because I had a bad day".

                              Yes, food should certainly be enjoyed!

                              Some people use food to self-medicate ... food will make them feel better.

                              Yes, when I make a special dessert, it's a "treat" and enjoyable. I didn't
                              make it because I felt bad about something or because I wanted to make myself
                              feel better.

                              It doesn't seem to me that your low carb smoothie "treat" is a bad thing ...
                              I often look forward to my macadamias as a "treat" ...

                              I just don't "reward" myself with food ...

                              It took a while, but I learned that all the "rewarding" and "treating" of
                              myself with chocolate wasn't either a treat or a reward.

                              Suellen

                              Atkins since 12/29/03
                              maintenance since 9/23/05

                            • Skye's Spirit Wildlife
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
                                Ok, I'd like to see that LC Lemon Cheesecake recipe!! LOL

                                Maryjane

                                Maryjane Angelo

                                Skye's Spirit Wildlife Rehabilitation Center

                                www.skyes-spirit.com

                                Evening Skye Custom Quillwork & Beadwork

                                www.quills.skyes-spirit.com

[...]

                                From another food enjoyer:

                                Yvonne

                                (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp0030000
                                00025
                                48)

                                Find the Newest & Best Low Carb Products on the Internet!
                                <<http://www.low-carb.com>>

                                Join the Low Carb Connoisseur Sales and Specials mailing list and get
                                recipes, new product information and special sale and promotion
                                information <<http://www.store.yahoo.com/low-carb/joinourmaill.html>>

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                nfo/terms/
                              • Laura Bennett
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
                                  I think the idea is not to reward yourself with food.
                                  When I was small my mom would say "After the doctor,
                                  if you're good, we'll stop and get an ice cream."
                                  That's the stuff that can drive you nuts when you're
                                  an adult. You have a hard day at work and want to
                                  treat yourself with a bag of Oreos or something.

                                  I DO believe that you should tell yourself,"I'm worth
                                  making the extra effort and making a terrific low carb
                                  smoothie instead of just zipping through the fast food
                                  drive through and getting a shake.
                                  Laura B.

                                  Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                • Laura Bennett
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
                                      What works for me may or may not work for anyone else, but to say what I do is somehow "wrong" or "bad" is NOT yours nor anyone elses place. Long term studies have show that people who do low carb lifestyles to the point of depravity are the ones who are more likely to gain big in the long run. There are always exceptions to the rule, however it is MY belief that if you do not look for alternatives to have occasionally then you are more likely to succumb and have something that is WAY off the low carb lifestyle. I've lost and kept off 10 dress sizes in 2 years doing low carb. Like I said, it is my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

                                    • Debbie Baldwin
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
                                        Excellent suggestions! All of you! This is giving me some insight, I
                                        really appreciate it. Using food as a reward, obsession,
                                        self-medicate, etc. I have been down all those roads. Right now I
                                        fight the comfort food zone. I have been under a great deal of stress
                                        these past months and find myself looking or wanting something that
                                        tastes good. And I can definitely see what you all are saying. Great
                                        advice ladies. However, the big question is, "How do I stop it and get
                                        off the this merry-go-round. Thanks for listening.

                                        Sena

                                        --- In low-carb-recipe-exchange@yahoogroups.com, janenem@... wrote:

                                        > In a message dated 2/6/08 1:48:25 PM, deb@... writes:
                                        >

                                        > > Someone said "food shouldn't be a
                                        > > treat". I can't eat anything I don't like. I thought food should be
                                        > > enjoyed. I
                                        > >

                                        > "Treat" was used (by me) in the sense of "reward" ... as in, "I
                                        deserve to
                                        > have this low carb ice cream because I had a bad day".
                                        >
                                        > Yes, food should certainly be enjoyed!
                                        >
                                        > Some people use food to self-medicate ... food will make them feel
                                        better.

                                        > Yes, when I make a special dessert, it's a "treat" and enjoyable. I
                                        didn't
                                        > make it because I felt bad about something or because I wanted to
                                        make myself
                                        > feel better.
                                        >
                                        > It doesn't seem to me that your low carb smoothie "treat" is a bad
                                        thing ...
                                        > I often look forward to my macadamias as a "treat" ...
                                        >
                                        > I just don't "reward" myself with food ...
                                        >
                                        > It took a while, but I learned that all the "rewarding" and
                                        "treating" of
                                        > myself with chocolate wasn't either a treat or a reward.
                                        >

                                        > Suellen
                                        >
                                        > Atkins since 12/29/03
                                        > maintenance since 9/23/05

                                      • threeathomej
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
                                          I had to reply and say that you are sooo right...if you don't treat
                                          yourself once in a while with what you are missing the most, it
                                          sometimes gets to the point that you have to have it and you eat a
                                          ton. A small treat once in a while really helps stave off any desire
                                          to binge . At least if works for me:)

                                          Janice in Edmonton, Alberta
                                          --- In low-carb-recipe-exchange@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Long
                                          <sarah_d_ann@...> wrote:

                                          > What works for me may or may not work for anyone else, but to say
                                          what I do is somehow "wrong" or "bad" is NOT yours nor anyone elses
                                          place. Long term studies have show that people who do low carb
                                          lifestyles to the point of depravity are the ones who are more likely
                                          to gain big in the long run. There are always exceptions to the rule,
                                          however it is MY belief that if you do not look for alternatives to
                                          have occasionally then you are more likely to succumb and have
                                          something that is WAY off the low carb lifestyle. I've lost and
                                          kept off 10 dress sizes in 2 years doing low carb. Like I said, it is
                                          my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

                                          > ---------------------------------
                                        • Laura Bennett
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 8, 2008
                                            My solution is to give in :) , I make myself some low
                                            carb mac & cheese with a good nippy chedder or an
                                            oriental salad and I feel a bit spoiled but I'm still
                                            not cheating. I gave up on torturing myself when I
                                            gave up on low fat. There are so many low carb comfort
                                            foods that you can be good to yourself and still be
                                            good to yourself. I won't do certain foods all the
                                            time, not because they are off my diet but because
                                            then they wouldn't be special.
                                            I know thats wierd but for me it's true, Laura B.

                                            Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                          • Sarah Long
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 8, 2008
                                              I try writing to get to the bottom of why I'm feeling a certain way if it isn't obvious. Either that or if the weather is nice a walk out in the country helps to clear my head and focus on the issues instead of the symptoms.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 8, 2008
                                                In a message dated 2/8/08 12:11:52 AM, deb@... writes:

                                                > the big question is, "How do I stop it and get
                                                > off the this merry-go-round.

                                                Step # 1 is deciding that you're getting off.

                                                Then you stop buying whatever it is that you're comforting yourself with.

                                                You may have to repeat Step #1 a lot ...

                                                There's some "inner housework" that has to happen as you teach yourself a new
                                                relationship with food.

                                                Suellen

                                                Atkins since 12/29/03
                                                maintenance since 9/23/05

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 8, 2008
                                                  In a message dated 2/7/2008 10:12:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                                  deb@... writes:

                                                  Excellent suggestions! All of you! This is giving me some insight, I
                                                  really appreciate it. Using food as a reward, obsession,
                                                  self-medicate, etc. I have been down all those roads. Right now I
                                                  fight the comfort food zone. I have been under a great deal of stress
                                                  these past months and find myself looking or wanting something that
                                                  tastes good. And I can definitely see what you all are saying. Great
                                                  advice ladies. However, the big question is, "How do I stop it and get
                                                  off the this merry-go-round. Thanks for listening.

                                                  Sena

                                                  How do you stop it?

                                                  First by becoming more aware of it. Perhaps start keeping a journal and
                                                  write down when you eat and why. Once you start to see when you are eating for
                                                  other reasons than hunger, you will be able to start addressing those
                                                  situations, and find alternative ways to deal with them.

                                                  There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating good food that tastes good
                                                  when you are hungry and are eating because your body needs to be fed. Where we
                                                  get ourselves in trouble is when we eat for the sake of eating, or because it
                                                  tastes good, or we feel we "need" it.

                                                  Spend some time making your meals and planned snacks as tasty and as
                                                  enjoyable as you can, and you will find there will be less instances where you need
                                                  to go looking for something that "tastes good" just because.

                                                  Learn to distinguish between real hunger and the "I wants".

                                                  Remember that everything we eat also fuels our bodies, so focus on choosing
                                                  the best fuel for your body.

                                                  Yes, it takes time to break old habits, but they can be broken.

                                                  How do we "get off this merry-go-round"? Climb off the horse... step down
                                                  from the carousel, and move forward one day at a time, one step at a time,
                                                  one meal at a time, one bite of food at a time.

                                                  Keep track of what you are eating. Using _www.fitday.com_
                                                  (http://www.fitday.com) or any of the other food journal tools out there. Really look at your
                                                  eating patterns, and determine what your trouble areas are. Is it that time
                                                  between arriving home and getting dinner on the table? Then perhaps you
                                                  need to plan to have some veggies cut up with some full fat salad dressing to
                                                  dip them into to eat as a healthy snack before you start making dinner?

                                                  HTH

                                                  Laura

                                                  48)

                                                • fitgoodman
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                                                    wanting carbs is a physical need for me. I found that I needed to get
                                                    my carbs physically under control. Found help at a site called
                                                    zylenebody. Works for me.

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 17, 2008
                                                      In a message dated 2/17/08 1:13:39 PM, singllc@... writes:

                                                      > zylenebody

                                                      Thanks for the advertisement.

                                                      I have some property in Florida that you might be interested in ...

                                                      Suellen

                                                      Atkins since 12/29/03
                                                      maintenance since 9/23/05