20 Important Reasons To Work WIth Your Breath

  • nachiketan2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
      20 IMPORTANT REASONS TO WORK WITH YOUR BREATH

      By Dennis Lewis

      Many of us have a narrow view of the relationship of how we breathe
      to health, healing, and spirituality. As a result of this narrow
      view, we often don't really understand the significance of the
      particular exercises and practices we try. This lack of understanding
      often undermines and distorts our efforts and keeps us from
      experiencing the many benefits of these practices--if indeed we
      continue to try them at all.

      When undertaking breathing exercises of any kind, it is important,
      therefore, to understand the specific functions of these exercises.
      Only in this way can you verify over time whether they are helping
      you or not.

      Here, in no particular order, are 20 possible reasons for working
      with your breathing. While some of the safe, natural practices I
      teach relate to many of these functions simultaneously, some
      practices are designed for one or two very specific goals.

      1. Provide our cells, organs, and tissues with sufficient oxygen for
      optimal functioning and for healing. 2. Support lymphatic and venous
      blood flow. 3. Massage and detoxify our organs and tissues. 4.
      Strengthen our diaphragm and increase our lung capacity. 5.
      Coordinate the various breathing muscles for more efficient
      breathing. 6. Help focus our attention and direct our energy for
      healing. 7. Reflect the mental and emotional forces at work in us for
      increased self-knowledge. 8. Alter the way we think, feel, or
      perform. 9. Facilitate communication between the conscious and
      unconscious parts of ourselves. 10. Act as a bridge between mind,
      body, and spirit for balance, harmony, and spiritual growth. 11.
      Induce resonance among the various energies and rhythms at work in
      us. 12. Help us harmonize our nervous system, particularly in
      relation to stress. 13. Help with specific medical problems we may
      have. 14. Help ground us. 15. Increase our fundamental vitality. 16.
      Deepen meditation. 17. Increase communication between the left and
      right hemispheres of the brain. 18. Expand our awareness of ourselves
      and the world. 19. Connect us more consciously with others. 20. Learn
      to live in the present moment with real presence.

      There are many more reasons to work with your breathing, of course,
      but this brief list may may help broaden the way you look at the
      significance of your breath.
    • luvpotion121
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
        Thanks Nachi. Great reasons for rhythmic and deep breathing
        routines. GOD IS the Ultimate Breath(er), so we may practice
        breathing by His Grace and with His Rhythm.

        Love, Polly