Fw: (DLSMD) SIVANANDA DAILY READING FOR 4 JUNE

  • Polly
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2003
      SIVANANDA DAILY READING FOR 4 JUNE
      PRAYER IS SPIRITUAL FOOD

      Prayer elevates, inspires, redeems. Through prayer, divine grace and
      divine light descend. Prayer is spiritual food for the soul. Prayer
      is a spiritual tonic. Prayer is a master-key to open the realms of
      elysian bliss. Prayer helps the devotee to be in tune with the
      infinite. Prayer should come from the inner recesses of the heart -
      then it will be heard at once.

      Prayer works wonders. Its power is ineffable. Through prayer the
      devotee sits by the side of the Lord. Prayer expands and purifies the
      heart. Prayer is a strong spiritual injection. It fills the heart
      with immense power and strength.

      Every religion has its own prayer. Pray in the early morning - it is
      more effective. Let prayer become habitual - pray at all times. Pray
      not for wealth, position, wife and children, success in lotteries or
      horse racing - ask for darsan (vision) of the Lord. Pray for devotion
      and communion.

      Recite the beautiful Upanishadic prayer morning and night: "Asatoma
      sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrtyorma amrtam gamaya" - "lead
      me on from the unreal to the real, from darkness to light, from
      mortality to immortality."

      During mass prayer a huge spiritual current is generated.

      Gayatri japa is a prayer - the devotee asks for illumination of the
      intellect, so that he can know his real, essential, divine nature.
      This is an unselfish prayer Mrityunjaya mantra also is a prayer. It
      is a prayer to the Lord Siva. The devotee asks: "Free me from bondage
      and death make me immortal".

      ----------

      Om bhur bhuvah svah tat savitur varenyam
      bhargo devasya dhimahi dhiyo yo nah prachodayat

      (Sri Gayatri Mantra)

      "Let us meditate on the glory of Isvara, who has created this
      universe, who is fit to be worshipped, who is the remover of all sins
      and ignorance. May He enlighten our intellect."

      --------

      Om tryambakam yajamahe sugandhim pushtivardhanam
      urvarukamiva bandhanan mrityor mukshiya mamritat

      (Sri Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra)

      "We worship the three-eyed one (Lord Siva), who is fragrant and who
      nourishes well all beings. May He liberate us from death for the sake
      of immortality, even as the cucumber is severed from its bondage (to
      the creeper)."