No Excuses...

  • Raven
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2001
      What would you feel/have done in this man's shoes??? Namaste, RAven

      No Excuses

      ===========

      The next time you feel like being bitter, resentful and angry --
      - even if the circumstances justify these emotions ---
      consider the inspiring words of a man who, after 27 years of
      imprisonment by his government, had every right to be bitter,
      resentful and angry:

      "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, Our deepest fear is
      that we are powerful beyond measure.

      We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and
      fabulous?' Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God.
      Your playing small doesn't serve the world.

      There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people
      won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory
      of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in
      everyone.

      And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people
      permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our
      presence automatically liberates others."

      These are words of Nelson Mandela, who gave this inaugural speech in
      1994, after being elected President of South Africa. He became
      the leader of the government that had for so long sought to take away
      his voice. This man had every right to be bitter, resentful and angry
      at the world.

      How dare he inspire us to greatness? Shouldn't he have instead
      approved our sloth? After all, is anyone really appreciated for what
      he does, regardless of the extent of the sacrifice?

      Nelson Mandela confirms that you are expected to be great. Nothing
      less.

      You can even be more than great if you decide to ignore the
      non-existent limitations that everyone else can see. What kind of
      glasses are they wearing?

      I know I'm gorgeous, brilliant and talented. Simply put, I am
      fabulous.

      What about you?