Which one do you feed???

  • Raven
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      A simple message....Namaste, RAven

      An old Grandfather said to his grandson, who came to him with anger at
      a friend who had done him an injustice...

      "Let me tell you a story. I too, at times, have felt great hate for
      those who have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do. But
      hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It's like taking
      poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these
      feelings many times.

      It is as if there are two wolves inside me. One is good and does no
      harm. He lives in harmony with all around him and does not take
      offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is
      right to do so, and in the right way. But...the other wolf... ah! The
      littlest thing will send him into a fit of temper. He fights
      everyone, all of the time, for no reason. He cannot think, because his
      anger and hate are so great. It is helpless anger, for his anger will
      change nothing. Sometimes it is hard to live with these two wolves
      inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

      The boy looked intently into his Grandfather's eyes and asked, "Which
      one wins, Grandfather?"

      The Grandfather smiled and quietly said, "The one I feed."

      -- A Native American tale told many times around the Sacred Fire