"Brother, if you don't mind..."

  • Raven
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15 2:44 PM
      I posted this at UCS as well, so please forgive the duplication. The
      following is a post from a young survivor of Tuesday's attack. It is
      touching and shows that we are all brothers and sisters. Please
      continue to focus on sending Peace and Love to all...RAven

      My name is Usman Farman and I graduated from Bentley with a Finance
      degree last May. I am 21 years old, turning 22 in October; I am
      Pakistani, and I am Muslim. Until September 10th 2001, I used to work
      at the World Trade Center in building #7. I had friends and
      acquaintances who worked in tower #1 right across from me. Some made
      it out, and some are still unaccounted for. I survived this horrible
      event.

      I'd like to share with you what I went through that awful day, with
      the hopes that we can all stay strong together; through this tragedy
      of yet untold proportions. As I found out, regardless of who we are,
      and where we come from, we only have each other.

      I commute into the city every morning on the train from New Jersey.
      Rather, I used to. I still can?t believe what is happening. That
      morning I woke up and crawled out of bed. I was thinking about flaking
      out on the train and catching the late one, I remember telling myself
      that I just had to get to work on time. I ended up catching the 7:48
      train, which put me in Hoboken at 8:20 am. When I got there I thought
      about getting something to eat, I decided against it and took the PATH
      train to the World Trade Center. I arrived at the World Trade at 8:40
      in the morning. I walked into the lobby of building 7 at 8:45, that?s
      when the first plane hit.

      Had I taken the late train, or gotten a bite to eat, I would have been
      5 minutes late and walking over the crosswalk. Had that happened, I
      would have been caught under a rain of fire and debris, I wouldn?t be
      here talking to you. I?d be dead.

      I was in the lobby, and I heard the first explosion; it didn?t
      register. They were doing construction outside and I thought some
      scaffolding had fallen. I took the elevators up to my office on the
      27th floor. When I walked in, the whole place was empty. There were no
      alarms, no sprinklers, nothing. Our offices are, or rather, were on
      the south side of building seven. We were close enough to the North
      and South Towers, that I could literally throw a stone from my window
      and hit the North tower with it.

      My phone rang and I spoke with my mother and told her that I was
      leaving, at that moment I saw an explosion rip out of the second
      building. I called my friend in Boston, waking her up and told her to
      tell everyone I?m okay, and that I was leaving. I looked down one last
      time and saw the square and fountain that I eat lunch in, was covered
      in smoldering debris. Apparently, I was one of the last to leave my
      building, when I was on the way up in the elevators; my co-workers
      from the office were in the stairwells coming down. When I evacuated,
      there was no panic. People were calm and helping each other; a
      pregnant woman was being carried down the stairwell.

      I?ll spare the more gruesome details of what I saw, those are things
      that no one should ever have to see, and beyond human decency to
      describe. Those are things which will haunt me for the rest of my
      life, my heart goes out to everyone who lost their lives that day, and
      those who survived with the painful reminders of what once was.
      Acquaintances of mine who made it out of the towers, only got out
      because 1000 people formed a human chain to find their way out of the
      smoke. Everyone was a hero that day.

      We were evacuated to the north side of building 7. Still only 1 block
      from the towers. The security people told us to go north and not to
      look back. 5 city blocks later I stopped and turned around to watch.
      With a thousand people staring, we saw in shock as the first tower
      collapsed. No one could believe it was happening, it is still all
      too-surreal to imagine. The next thing I remember is that a dark cloud
      of glass and debris about 50 stories high came tumbling towards us. I
      turned around and ran as fast as possible. I didn?t realize until
      yesterday that the reason I?m still feeling so sore was that I fell
      down trying to get away. What happened next is why I came here to give
      this speech.

      I was on my back, facing this massive cloud that was approaching, it
      must have been 600 feet off, everything was already dark. I normally
      wear a pendant around my neck, inscribed with an Arabic prayer for
      safety; similar to the cross. A hesidic Jewish man came up to me and
      held the pendant in his hand, and looked at it. He read the Arabic out
      loud for a second. What he said next, I will never forget. With a deep
      Brooklyn accent he said ?Brother, if you don?t mind, there is a cloud
      of glass coming at us, grab my hand, lets get the hell out of here?.
      He helped me stand up, and we ran for what seemed like forever without
      looking back. He was the last person I would ever have thought, who
      would help me. If it weren?t for him, I probably would have been
      engulfed in shattered glass and debris.

      I finally stopped about 20 blocks away, and looked in horror as tower
      #2 came crashing down. Fear came over me as I realized that some
      people were evacuated to the streets below the towers. Like I said
      before, no one could have thought those buildings could collapse. We
      turned around and in shock and disbelief and began the trek to
      midtown. It took me 3 hours to get to my sisters office at 3 avenue
      and 47th street. Some streets were completely deserted, completely
      quiet, no cars, no nothing? just the distant wail of sirens. I managed
      to call home and say I was okay, and get in touch with co-workers and
      friends whom I feared were lost.

      We managed to get a ride to New Jersey. Looking back as I crossed the
      George Washington Bridge, I could not see the towers. It had really
      happened.

      As the world continues to reel from this tragedy, people in the
      streets are lashing out. Not far from my home, a Pakistani woman was
      run over on purpose as she was crossing the parking lot to put
      groceries in her car. Her only fault? That she had her head covered
      and was wearing the traditional clothing of my homeland. I am afraid
      for my family?s well being within our community. My older sister is
      too scared to take the subway into work now. My 8-year-old sister?s
      school is under lockdown and armed watch by police.

      Violence only begets violence, and by lashing out at each other in
      fear and hatred, we will become no better than the faceless cowards
      who committed this atrocity. If it weren?t for that man who helped me
      get up, I would most likely be in the hospital right now, if not dead.
      Help came from the least expected place, and goes only to show, that
      we are all in this together ? regardless of race, religion, or
      ethnicity. Those are principles that this country was founded on.

      Please take a moment to look at the people sitting around you. Friends
      or strangers, in a time of crisis, you would want the nearest person
      to help you if you needed it. My help came from a man who I would
      never have thought would normally even speak to me. Ask yourselves now
      how you can help those people in New York and Washington. You can
      donate blood, you can send clothing, food, and money. Funds have been
      setup in the New York area to help the families of fallen
      firefighters, policemen, and emergency personnel. The one thing that
      won?t help, is if we fight amongst ourselves, because it is then that
      we are doing exactly what they want us to do, and I know that nobody
      here wants to do that.

      My name is Usman Farman and I graduated from Bentley with a Finance
      degree last May. I am 21 years old, turning 22 in October; I am
      Pakistani, and I am Muslim, and I too have been victimized by this
      awful tragedy. The next time you feel angry about this, and perhaps
      want to retaliate in your own way, please remember these words: