Something Beautiful To Share

  • Karen Pennington
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2000
      I saw this and just had to send it on along. Love and
      Hugs, Karen

      To: <airmid@...>
      From: "Carollyne" <globalwholeheal@...> |
      Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:06:30 -0700
      Subject: Fw: Friendship oath

      I think this is a wonderful story, and I love sharing
      it...as it touches the heartstrings...

      Subject: Friendship oath

      Tess was a precocious eight year old when she heard
      her Mom and Dad talking about her little brother,
      Andrew. All she knew was that he was very sick and
      they were completely out of money. They were moving to
      an apartment complex next month because Daddy didn't
      have the money for the doctor bills and our house.

      Only a very costly surgery could save him now and it
      was looking like there was no-one to loan them the
      money. She heard Daddy say to her tearful Mother with
      whispered desperation, "Only a miracle can save him
      now."

      Tess went to her bedroom and pulled a glass jelly jar
      from its hiding place in the closet. She poured all
      the change out on the floor and counted it carefully.
      Three times, even. The total had to be exactly
      perfect. No chance here for mistakes. Carefully
      placing the coins back in the jar and twisting on the
      cap, she slipped out the back door and made her way 6
      blocks to Rexall's Drug Store with the big red Indian
      Chief sign above the door.

      She waited patiently for the pharmacist to give her
      some attention but he was to busy at this moment. Tess
      twisted her feet to make a scuffing noise. Nothing.
      She cleared her throat with the most disgusting sound
      she could muster. No good. Finally she took a quarter
      from her jar and banged it on the glass counter. That
      did it!

      "And what do you want?" the pharmacist asked in an
      annoyed tone of voice. "I'm talking to my brother from
      Chicago whom I haven't seen in ages," he said without
      waiting for a reply to his question.

      "Well, I want to talk to you about my brother," Tess
      answered back in the same annoyed tone. "He's really,
      really sick... and I want to buy a miracle."

      "I beg your pardon?" said the pharmacist.

      "His name is Andrew and he has something bad growing
      inside his head and my Daddy says only a miracle can
      save him now. So how much does a miracle cost?"

      "We don't sell miracles here, little girl. I'm sorry
      but I can't help you", the pharmacist said, softening
      a little.

      "Listen, I have the money to pay for it. If it isn't
      enough, I will get the rest. Just tell me how much it
      costs."

      The pharmacist's brother was a well dressed man. He
      stooped down and asked the little girl, "What kind of
      a miracle does you brother need?"

      "I don't know," Tess replied with her eyes welling up.
      "I just know he's really sick and Mommy says he needs
      an operation. But my Daddy can't pay for it, so I want
      to use my money".

      "How much do you have?" asked the man from Chicago.

      "One dollar and eleven cents," Tess answered barely
      audibly. "And it's all the money I have, but I can get
      some more if I need to."

      "Well, what a coincidence," smiled the man. "A dollar
      and eleven cents--the exact price of a miracle for
      little brothers." He took her money in one hand and
      with the other hand he grasped her mitten and said
      "Take me to where you live. I want to see your brother
      and meet your parents. Let's see if I have the kind of
      miracle you need."

      That well dressed man was Dr. Carlton Armstrong, a
      surgeon, specializing in neuro-surgery. The operation
      was completed without charge and it wasn't long until
      Andrew was home again and doing well.

      Mom and Dad were happily talking about the chain of
      events that had led them to this place. "That
      surgery," her Mom whispered, "was a real miracle. I
      wonder how much it would have cost?"

      Tess smiled. She knew exactly how much a miracle
      cost... one dollar and eleven cents ...... plus the
      faith of a little child.

      A miracle is not the suspension of natural law, but
      the operation of a higher law...... (A TRUE STORY)

      I know you'll keep the ball moving! Here it goes.
      Throw it back to someone else who means something to
      you!

      The Friendship Ball

      A ball is a circle, No beginning, no end.
      It keeps us together Like our Circle of Friends.
      But the treasure inside for you to see is the treasure
      of friendship you've granted to me.
      Today I pass the friendship ball to you.
      Pass it on to someone who is a friend to you.

      MY OATH TO YOU...

      When you are sad.....I will dry your tears.
      When you are scared.....I will comfort your fears.
      When you are worried.....I will give you hope.
      When you are confused.....I will help you cope.
      And when you are lost.....And can't see the light.
      I shall be your beacon.....Shining ever so bright
      This is my oath.....I pledge till the end.
      Why you may ask?.....Because you are my friend.

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • pattimaris1675@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2000
        Great story Karen, I had read it before and liked it once again.
        Patti