Gaia Online Tarot: the Canoe ~ the Teacher ~ the Seeker

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2013

       We do have opportunities which are becoming available to each of us. Chief of which are those very doors which are within us. These are laying the foundation and are apart of the Creative wonder that sees them coming to us for those opportunities are answering that call which is there inside. As we begin living a life of authenticity and focus. One of your cornerstones is your self-discipline. The discipline typically gives rises to thoughts such "what am I going to have to give up?". Shift your perspective for this is not about giving up anything. This is about making conscious, responsible and loving decisions. Those choices which are going to assist you in seeing your goals come to fruition, that fuels your passion and dedication. You will find that you travel "light" and this does not mean you have lost anything. Rather you see more clearly what has weighed you down. With this clarity comes strength and focus. You can cast off that which has weighed you down or been a deterrent. Among those are receiving those lessons learned, apply them and Know that this has been a learning and growing process; one that you showing to yourself your excellence, conviction and drive fueled by passion and love. Those around you and the world will see this by the integrity that you live, breathe and walk.

      Remember that no matter how the road may seem to twist and seemingly change Know that you can accomplish that which comes from your heart. In truth, there at your deepest and highest it has already been achieved. You can see it, feel it, Know it and embrace it; outwardly you draw those energies, create the opportunities and can make that choice to step through these and enact them physically as well as mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Energy focused, balance and in action.

      Along the way there is an invitation to learn in new ways and growing as a teacher of others. This comes from an openness and willingness to enter into a new synergy and connection with the land around you. The Teacher Within You calls for you to develop a more intimate connection and relationship with Our Earth beginning where you are. Observation, listening with your heart and soul as well as your mind and honing your intuition through that trust which is already there. You are the One who is beginning to transform and transmute your life through this bond. Know the land and earth as your cathedral, your school, your expression and your place of rest and rejuvenation. In that keep to hear that as you Open to Our Beloved Mother Earth there will be those Wise Women who will enter into your life to impart and share their insight, their wisdom, their love and their guidance. In turn you will have seeds and fruits to extend to share with them for they will be open as well to you just as the Earth is, can and will be. Each reflecting the other.

      The Seeker has the image of a butterfly embroidered on the back of her vest. Yes this signifies an opening of her wings, a fresh acceptance and awareness of her Self and her abilities. This also represents how she is open to transformation. She is already taking those steps as she too exemplifies the choices made by the Canoe. What she truly needs and choices for her path as that path is growing and changing with her. Indeed take a risk! Her taking a risk is not thinking "Okay I could lose what little I have but am going to take a deep breath and try." It is "Through Knowing myself more fully I have faith in my Self to try new things to learn and grow in the process." Relearn how to be spontaneous and walk with  a childlike sense of wonder and receptivity for that truly is an indication of growth, wisdom and maturity. In bringing forth the Inner Divine Child as well to see and receive life in a new way and not on walk the path but to dance upon it, race when you hear the "mark, get set, go", to swim with it and when it is time to fly mightily and divinely full and overflowing with Unconditional Love.

      The OpportunityThe ChallengeThe Resolution
      7 - the Canoe
      Focused on your path

      You have the opportunity to stay focused on your path, and to exercise self-discipline as you work towards your goal. Set aside anything extraneous that would distract you or keep you from completing your task. What is your goal? What do you want to accomplish? This may apply to your life in the everyday world — pursuing a course of study, a career goal, a fitness plan, a creative project. It may also apply to your inner life; perhaps you are in a recovery program or are healing from a trauma. Whatever it is, set your intention, take your first steps, and your guides and allies will be at your side to help you on your way. Be of great courage! No matter how hard it seems, you have what it takes to win the prize.
      5 - the Teacher
      Learning and teaching

      You are being challenged to learn in a new way, or to become a teacher to others. It may be that a new teacher will appear to you in disguise — perhaps the weeds that grow along the roadside, or a heron feeding in the mud flats at low tide. The natural world around you has some of the most profound spiritual teachings you will ever encounter. Perhaps it is time to get to know your Place on this earth in a more intimate manner. Do you know the names of native plants in your area, and how the indigenous people used them? Do you know how to interpret the different calls and songs of the birds in your neighborhood? Do you know where the sun rises and sets on the horizon in summer and in winter? The Teacher calls you to become intimately acquainted with the natural world in the place where you live, as part of your spiritual practice.
      0 - the Seeker
      A new beginning

      Resolution comes with a new beginning. Be open to all the twists and curves in the road ahead. Be ready for wonderful surprises. Be open-hearted, innocent, trusting and spontaneous. Take a risk! Before you is a brand new adventure — the chance for a fresh start and endless possibilities.

      Post image for Canoe

      Stay focused on your path

      The paddler sets out on his quest, unencumbered by baggage or even excess clothing. He is focused on his goal, in- tent, looking neither to the left nor right. The phrase “paddle your own canoe” indicates self-determination and self-reliance. He brings his strength, will and courage to the task at hand. A boat often symbolizes transition from the material world to the spirit world. Here the paddler makes his way in the world while exploring spiritual depths. His task is to live his life with meaning — to infuse everyday life with his soul purpose.
      His paddle is his magic wand, his tattoos his armor. His companions on the journey are Eagle and Salmon, each bringing their own gifts — swiftness, power and keen sight from Eagle, wisdom of the deep from Salmon. The black- and-white Orcas bring their own powerful magic, the balance of playfulness and fierceness. No doubt they will both challenge and guide him.

      Post image for Teacher

      Learning and teaching

      The Teacher is a humble and spiritual figure in the tradition of the Holy Fool or Crazy Saint, known in Sufi tradition as well as in Tibetan Buddhism, Hasidic Judaism and Christianity. Crazy saints speak in riddles, they tease, they laugh uproariously and act intentionally ridiculous. At the same time, they are guileless, transparent and open to a sense of wonder. Who, we ask, is the Wise Man, and who is the Fool?
      The Teacher sits in front of a Western Red Cedar surrounded by five green allies, potent medicinal herbs that many would pass by as weeds. Is it crazy to take as your teacher Dandelion, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, Yarrow and Comfrey? And what lessons are taught by Western Red Cedar?
      The coyote is a Crazy Saint as well. Wilderness tracker Tom Brown Jr. passed on the tradition of “coyote teaching” from his own teacher. “Grandfather” used methods like questioning, teasing and storytelling to inspire and intrigue lazy students. Coyote teaching also happens when you plan to learn one thing (the medicinal use of herbs, for example) and end up learning something else altogether (perhaps the limits of your own courage and stamina).
      Who, we may ask, is the Teacher in this card, and who is the student?

      Seeker or Fool card Gaian Tarot deck

      A new beginning

      The Seeker begins a journey, taking a moment to contemplate the road ahead before setting off down the hillside. Perhaps she is murmuring a prayer, or setting an intention. She travels light, carrying all that she needs in her bundle. She has embroidered a butterfly on the back of her vest, signifying her delight in taking wing and setting out on her own path.
      The Great Mountain rises in the east, and the River slowly meanders on its own journey, from the mountain range down to the bay and the ocean be- yond.
      The Seeker is at that stage of life between childhood and adulthood when anything is possible, and her life lies before her like a page waiting to be written. With Fox as her trickster companion, who knows what surprises may await her? Swallows and Swallowtails flit and flutter around her, guiding her way.

      All content © Joanna Powell Colbert 2003-2011. Please do not reproduce art or content without permission.