Inspire Me Today: Today's Brilliance from Cheryl Hunter

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2013

      Inspired Quote of the Day™

      You are magnificent. What makes you magnificent is everything you've previously believed is wrong with you. ~ Cheryl Hunter

      Today's Brilliance™

      Cheryl  Hunter

      Cheryl Hunter

      Cheryl is a bestselling author, speaker and resilience expert who has coached and led personal development seminars for over 90,000 people since 1995.
      If I could share 500 words of wisdom to summarize what I've learned so far in life, these are the important things I'd want to pass along to others...
      As a teenager, I traveled overseas with nothing but an over-packed suitcase and a dream of leaving the remote Colorado horse ranch of my childhood for the big city.
      No sooner did I land in France than a man with a big, very nice-looking camera around his neck approached me. He said he could make me a model. He promised me an exciting life of big-city living and a future that sounded too good to pass up, so I went with him and his friend.
      They drugged me, took me to an abandoned construction site, beat me and raped me. They dumped me in a park in Nice three days later.
      I didn't tell my family; I didn't tell my friends; I couldn't. I felt ruined, and if anyone knew what happened, they'd know that about me. Understandably, I became very aloof. I became a loner. Over time I began to feel completely disconnected from people; I even felt disconnected from myself.
      I did become a model and traveled the world alone for my job, which suited me just fine; I never had to connect with anyone on a deep level. One November morning, I walked down the street in New York City and saw someone in Times Square with a sign, "Repent or go to hell!" I thought to myself, "I'm already in hell."
      In that moment, it became clear I needed to start over again.
      I realized that my being jaded and wary and dead was not punishing the men in France; it was punishing me. They took enough from me. I decided not to let them take any more from me than they already had.
      So, I decided to just do something. What? I had no idea; I simply decided to do whatever presented itself and to follow whatever pathway seemed to alight in front of me. There is an old spiritual precept to which I clung, "Go through the open door." People told me about classes and workshops; I took them. Someone recommended a book; I read it. A therapist was suggested; I went to her. Lather, rinse, and repeat.
      In the process, I decided to turn my personal quest to find peace into something I could give away to positively impact the lives of others because - let's face it - we all have things happen in life that we wish had not.
      Eventually, after many years of study, I began leading seminars and coaching people myself. Initially I coached one person at a time and gradually began coaching people by the hundreds in live seminars. Today, eighteen years and 90,000 people later, I see the perfection in everything that happened to me as a teenager. What I went through enabled me to make a difference with people that I would never otherwise have been able to make.
      I believe that each of us can find meaning in the difficulties that we've faced if we allow ourselves to embrace them, rather than wishing they'd never happened.

      A Message from Inspire Me Today

      In USE IT: Turn Setbacks Into Success, Cheryl shares a step-by-step method that can be applied by anyone who has ever dealt with less-than-favorable circumstances. In a world where life often hijacks our personal agendas, USE IT shows you how to immediately take back the reins, design a life you love, and become the unstoppable force of nature you were born to be. Check it out!

      Thank you for reading Today's Brilliance.

      We're honored to be a part of your day. You can help us inspire others by simply passing this along to your friends. Our goal is to share love and inspiration with the world, so please encourage your friends to also sign up for Today's Brilliance at InspireMeToday.com. Sending our thanks, love and hugs to you.
      Share Today's Brilliance:
      Twitter     Facebook

      Did a friend forward this to you? Sign up for daily inspiration in your inbox here. We hope to welcome you to the community soon!
      Inspire Me Today, LLC, P.O. Box 5598, Whitefish, MT 59937