Gaia Online Tarot: the Magician ~ the Teacher ~ the Wheel

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2012
      While all three have such deep synchronicity with each other the opportunities we available to us and the challenge are especially interwoven together. As we step into our sacred space in confidence and serenity with love we are re-establishing and re-igniting that Divine Spark within us. That which reawakens and enables us to also re-connect with the Earth and we become a vital, intricate part of this beautiful Matrix; one that we are able to tap into and share in the healing with others that we are receiving. We are Opening new pathways within us and around which serves us and all of this world together as well as our Mother Earth too. When it speaks on becoming a teacher to others that reflects our own openness to learn. We teach by the example of word and deed, the seed and fruit together, for the teachers who have the deepest and most transformational impact are those who are open to hear, to receive and to learn. Their life radiates an inner confidence to speak with integrity, love and compassion their Voice and, at the same time, they have the childlike exuberance and wonder to truly listen and embrace new ways, new teachings, new insights. They show sincere gratitude for the opportunity to walk together imparting their wisdom and open to receiving the wisdom that is imparted to them. In that we become more grounded and able to not only discern the cycles we are within but the ability to recognize those signs with a rich clarity. Knowing that as we complete one road we begin to embark upon a new one. A path that opens before and that we are apart of creating for our and the world's highest benefit. That concludes by stating with prayer and the magic of sustained focus all things are focused. Beautifully expressed and true for with that confidence, love and passion we have unlimited potential that are already manifesting within us. Prayer is a vital part of that which does encompasses a number of forms with, at its core, is a medium for us to enter into a sacred communion with the Divine that lives, breathes and flows from within us. When we look through the Eyes of Spirit, of our Mother Earth we will See our Selves reflected in and through them as well as with one another. Each of us dancing and moving to the sound of the drum we beat, dance to the song we create and enter into the rhapsody of all Creation that we have always been apart of and flow from.

      The OpportunityThe ChallengeThe Resolution
      1 - the Magician
      Spirit made manifest

      You have the opportunity to manifest your desires. Your sense of personal power is strong. You know how to enter sacred space and bring spiritual energy into the world of matter. You have learned how to focus your will and your passion towards a goal. Your creativity energizes you and blesses those around you. You have the potential to align yourself with the heartbeat of the earth, and to bring forth healing for the planet and all her creatures.
      5 - the Teacher
      Learning and teaching

      You are being challenged to learn in a new way, or to become a teacher to others. It may be that a new teacher will appear to you in disguise — perhaps the weeds that grow along the roadside, or a heron feeding in the mud flats at low tide. The natural world around you has some of the most profound spiritual teachings you will ever encounter. Perhaps it is time to get to know your Place on this earth in a more intimate manner. Do you know the names of native plants in your area, and how the indigenous people used them? Do you know how to interpret the different calls and songs of the birds in your neighborhood? Do you know where the sun rises and sets on the horizon in summer and in winter? The Teacher calls you to become intimately acquainted with the natural world in the place where you live, as part of your spiritual practice.
      10 - the Wheel
      Cycles and seasons

      Resolution comes with change. One part of a cycle is becoming another. What is passing away in your life right now, and what is coming into being? Where do you stand right now on the Wheel? Can you see that what is happening does not happen in isolation, but is part of a pattern? Sometimes the change that is coming is obvious and striking. More often, it creeps up on us when our attention has been elsewhere — the trees are suddenly bare and we didn't even notice when the first leaves began to fall. So this card also challenges us to be mindful. Keep track of the cycles of the sun and moon, which mirror our own inner cycles. If things seem chaotic and disorderly in your life, focus on the still point of the turning wheel. Remember that with prayer and the magic of sustained focus, all things are possible.
      Click on an image to read more about the card or to order a print.

      magician gaian tarot deck

      Spirit made manifest

      The Magician is a ritual drummer, the drum his magic wand. He plays the djembe, caught up in the bliss and ecstasy of the trance created by the sound of the drum. He knows that the rhythm of his drumbeat matches the heartbeat of the Earth. Firelight flickers on cave walls, painted with a thousand hands, like the prehistoric handprints in the Cave of Hands (Cueva de las Manos) in Argentina.
      An altar with items representing the four elements anchors him in sacred space. He creates the matrix that allows magic to happen. He opens a door between this world and the world of Spirit. The hand creates magic — whether with a drum, a paintbrush or ritual tool. Hands bring the Unseen into the realm of the Seen.

      Post image for Teacher

      Learning and teaching

      The Teacher is a humble and spiritual figure in the tradition of the Holy Fool or Crazy Saint, known in Sufi tradition as well as in Tibetan Buddhism, Hasidic Judaism and Christianity. Crazy saints speak in riddles, they tease, they laugh uproariously and act intentionally ridiculous. At the same time, they are guileless, transparent and open to a sense of wonder. Who, we ask, is the Wise Man, and who is the Fool?
      The Teacher sits in front of a Western Red Cedar surrounded by five green allies, potent medicinal herbs that many would pass by as weeds. Is it crazy to take as your teacher Dandelion, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, Yarrow and Comfrey? And what lessons are taught by Western Red Cedar?
      The coyote is a Crazy Saint as well. Wilderness tracker Tom Brown Jr. passed on the tradition of “coyote teaching” from his own teacher. “Grandfather” used methods like questioning, teasing and storytelling to inspire and intrigue lazy students. Coyote teaching also happens when you plan to learn one thing (the medicinal use of herbs, for example) and end up learning something else altogether (perhaps the limits of your own courage and stamina).
      Who, we may ask, is the Teacher in this card, and who is the student?

      Wheel card Gaian Tarot deck

      Cycles and seasons

      The Wheel of the Year turns and spins, as one season transforms into the next. In this card, the fiery core of the Earth is at the still point of the turning world. Trees of each season are rooted in Her body. Around the trees we see the eight phases of the moon, which correspond to the eight holy days of the solar year. The zodiac is aligned with the seasons and the lunar phases. For example, the Dark/New Moon corresponds to Winter Solstice, the shortest night of the year when the sun begins to wax again. Winter Solstice occurs when the sun moves into the sign of Capricorn. So these three — Dark/New Moon, Winter Tree and sign of Capricorn — all line up on the card, and so on around the Wheel.
      The cycles of nature teach us that all of life moves in a wheel. Wherever we stand on this wheel, we are certain to move to the next point and the one after that, until we are brought full circle to the place where we started, and as T.S. Eliot wrote, we “know the place for the first time.
      Outside the wheel of the solar year, the lunar month and the wheel of the zodiac, we see a circle of prayer beads. This rosary, or mala, is divided into six sets of nine (the magical number of three times three). As we say or sing repetitive prayers, counting beads as we go, we enter an altered state where anything is possible, magic happens, and butterflies — symbol of the soul — break free of the turning of the wheel.

      All content © Joanna Powell Colbert 2003-2011. Please do not reproduce art or content without permission.