Gaia Online Tarot: Strength ~ the Hermit ~ the Wheel

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2012
      These have a richness within each of them independently and collectively especially with the 'foundation' that Strength expresses. Our inner fire is our inner forge especially within any difficult or challenging period or experience. It takes courage for us to face these yet it is not so much that we are calling for a courage that we lack; rather it is remembering and rediscovering that courage which has always been within us; refining it and stepping into that inner forge which enables us to being the process of purification, transmutation and transformation. Is it a loved one having passed? A challenge to our health? Needing to face an inner truth about ourselves that we have been more than hesitant to admit to or look squarely at our inner mirror upon? No matter what these may be, and there are many, the essence of the message and affirmation of Strength is the same: There are manifold blessings within these moments and a true rekindling of our Spirit and Awakening. Rediscovering and reigniting that passion of and for life and there is such a clarity which comes from this. Patience is a fruit and seed with this as we embrace the process and that comes to the Hermit. This is an affirming challenge given reminding us of the sacredness of solitude. A key element of solitude is that we are not retreating from life nor the connection with it, with others and the world. Quite the opposite. We are affirming them and that by honoring and recognizing when those periods call for us to go within our inner cave, to walk amidst nature, to listen to the Voice that is within the wind, the trees, the earth, the water and sky; that Voice is that same which lives within us.

      The well being empty and calling to be filled is very deeply in synch with the reflection upon the full cup and the empty cup. A cup that is full is unable to receive new or fresh wine or spirits as it will overflow.A cup must be empty in order to be filled with new wine. Again it is not so much as pouring out the wine or divesting ourselves of the wine within the cup. It is drinking that wine fully and absorbing, assimilating it then being open to receiving new insights, steps, clarity and more by receiving the new wine. "Drink fully so that we are always ready to be that cup ready to receive the freshness and newness of life."

      With that we come to where we have a deeper and expanded clarity and vision. Recognizing the cycles of life especially within us. Where we are, where we were and stepping into where we are going by making conscious, affirming choices full of courage, passion, wholeness, compassion, joy and love. To stay mindful and from our integrity and commitment to ourselves and the world make those very choices, step confidently and courageously into life as we are not only walking a path before but we are the path and as we grow, as we expand, as we change and evolve so too does our path.

      What a powerful and transforming period we have before and within us! :)

      The OpportunityThe ChallengeThe Resolution
      8 - Strength
      Courage and inner fire

      You have the opportunity to develop your inner fortitude, which is the unseen blessing of difficult times. When you face your fears, an unpleasant situation or an inner truth that you don't want to acknowledge, you develop the courage that allows you to persevere during chaotic, stressful times. If you've never before been tested, you may be surprised to discover a wild source of strength you didn't know you had — like a woman giving birth alone in the wilderness. Afterwards, you will be changed, and your sense of personal power will grow. Others will see it in you and call it "charisma." Your inner fire will be awakened, and it will never again go out.
      9 - the Hermit
      Sacred solitude

      You are being challenged to spend time in sacred solitude. You need to withdraw from the world to focus on your inner life and spirituality. Perhaps you have been wounded in the "wars of the world," or perhaps you are fatigued and empty from putting out so much energy, especially if you are a caregiver. Your well is empty and it needs to be filled. Take some time out for a retreat. Go away to the mountains or the sea, by yourself, without partner or friends. Spend time outside in nature, observing the changes in your environment day by day. Your inner wisdom and sense of well-being will grow effortlessly the more time you spend outside. When you once again enter community life, others will be drawn to the light they see inside you and may come to you for guidance. For part of your purpose is to share what you've learned with others.
      10 - the Wheel
      Cycles and seasons

      Resolution comes with change. One part of a cycle is becoming another. What is passing away in your life right now, and what is coming into being? Where do you stand right now on the Wheel? Can you see that what is happening does not happen in isolation, but is part of a pattern? Sometimes the change that is coming is obvious and striking. More often, it creeps up on us when our attention has been elsewhere — the trees are suddenly bare and we didn't even notice when the first leaves began to fall. So this card also challenges us to be mindful. Keep track of the cycles of the sun and moon, which mirror our own inner cycles. If things seem chaotic and disorderly in your life, focus on the still point of the turning wheel. Remember that with prayer and the magic of sustained focus, all things are possible.

      Strength card from the Gaian Tarot deck

      Strength

      Courage and inner fire

      A strong and beautiful woman holds a cougar in her arms. Both wear a crown of flowers. The mountain lion symbolizes her passion, her instincts, her sexuality and her wildness. Instead of believing that her animal nature needs to be subdued, she embraces it and makes it a friend.
      Choices are made from the heart. One becomes a bit wilder, more passionate, more creative. The mindful per- son becomes more spontaneous. There is union between the animal instinctual nature and the “civilized” mind. The infinity sign above her head symbolizes the exchange of energy and information between the left and right sides of the brain — linear and holistic. Inner strength arises naturally from the self-confidence of a balanced, integrated person.
      On the rock we see a carving from Italy (500 BCE) that shows a Gorgon Medusa giving birth, assisted by two lions. When we call upon on our inner strength, we may be calm and resolute or wild and fierce. Sometimes we are the Lady and sometimes the Lion.

      Post image for Hermit

      Hermit

      Sacred solitude

      The Hermit retreats from the company of others to replenish his soul in solitude as he communes with the natural world. He listens to the calls of birds as he writes and sketches in his journal at twilight time. He ponders his own mortal- ity, and the gifts and challenges of aging. His guardian is the Barred Owl, who sees keenly in the darkness and embodies silent wisdom. From the sacred smoke of burning sage, visions rise of spirit animals. The Loon, with its primal eerie call, leads the Hermit into the waters of his dreams and ancestral memories. Wolf, the moon’s ally, reminds the Hermit that he is part of a pack or tribe, even when he spends time apart from it. The Merlin is a magical, shapeshifting raptor who shares its name with the Wise Old Man of Arthurian legend. All three are teachers of the Hermit’s soul.

      Wheel card Gaian Tarot deck

      Wheel

      Cycles and seasons

      The Wheel of the Year turns and spins, as one season transforms into the next. In this card, the fiery core of the Earth is at the still point of the turning world. Trees of each season are rooted in Her body. Around the trees we see the eight phases of the moon, which correspond to the eight holy days of the solar year. The zodiac is aligned with the seasons and the lunar phases. For example, the Dark/New Moon corresponds to Winter Solstice, the shortest night of the year when the sun begins to wax again. Winter Solstice occurs when the sun moves into the sign of Capricorn. So these three — Dark/New Moon, Winter Tree and sign of Capricorn — all line up on the card, and so on around the Wheel.
      The cycles of nature teach us that all of life moves in a wheel. Wherever we stand on this wheel, we are certain to move to the next point and the one after that, until we are brought full circle to the place where we started, and as T.S. Eliot wrote, we “know the place for the first time.
      Outside the wheel of the solar year, the lunar month and the wheel of the zodiac, we see a circle of prayer beads. This rosary, or mala, is divided into six sets of nine (the magical number of three times three). As we say or sing repetitive prayers, counting beads as we go, we enter an altered state where anything is possible, magic happens, and butterflies — symbol of the soul — break free of the turning of the wheel.
      from the company of others to replenish his soul in solitude as he communes with the natural world. He listens to the calls of birds as he writes and sketches in his journal at twilight time. He ponders his own mortal- ity, and the gifts and challenges of aging. His guardian is the Barred Owl, who sees keenly in the darkness and embodies silent wisdom. From the sacred smoke of burning sage, visions rise of spirit animals. The Loon, with its primal eerie call, leads the Hermit into the waters of his dreams and ancestral memories. Wolf, the moon’s ally, reminds the Hermit that he is part of a pack or tribe, even when he spends time apart from it. The Merlin is a magical, shapeshifting raptor who shares its name with the Wise Old Man of Arthurian legend. All three are teachers of the Hermit’s soul.

      All content © Joanna Powell Colbert 2003-2011. Please do not reproduce art or content without permission.